Search This Blog

Monday, January 19, 2015

What's Cookin' in the Country?

With all the great recipes out there on the Internet web sites and  on Pinterest, I still love looking through cookbooks to find new recipes.  I recently purchased a Gooseberry Cookbook on sale for $5. It has 101 Entertaining recipes and every single recipe looks so tempting!  I've made several recipes so far and each one has been a home run.



With my affinity for popcorn, I was so excited to find a recipe in my new book for  Almond Toffee Popcorn.  I've made it three times since New Year's Eve.  I made it the first time for a church New Year's Eve party and it was pretty good!  The second time I made it for a meeting my husband was having and didn't even send it because it was chewy.  The third time I made it it was for a Sunday school class party, and it was perfection!  I wrote the adjustments in my book so hopefully it won't be a flop ever again.  Third time was indeed the charm!

I just have to share this recipe with all my popcorn-loving readers.  Seriously, I have to lock this stuff away, or else I keep nibbling at it.  It is WONDERFUL!

Almond Toffee Popcorn
12 C popped popcorn
1 C sugar
1/2 C butter
1/2 C light corn syrup
1/4 C water
1 C copped almonds,toasted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

I found the best way to get all the popcorn covered with the toffee mixture was to place popcorn in a brown grocery bag.  Remove any unpopped kernels and set aside.


In a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except vanilla.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches the soft-crack stage - 289 degrees on a candy
thermometer.  Note: The second time I made it and it turned out chewy, I took the temperature to 270 degrees; 289 degrees was perfect.


Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir well.  Pour over popcorn.  Fold bag down and shake to cover popcorn with sugar mixture.



Pour popcorn onto waxed paper to dry.


Taste to see how wonderful it really is.  Taste again, and again, and again.  You won't be able to stop.  You have been warned.

Enjoy!

With love from my country kitchen,

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Denise, which other recipes have you made?

Denise said...

Not sure I understand your question. Which other popcorn recipes have I made?