Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

No-Griping!

I am definitely a visual learner. The lesson I'm learning right now with the help of a visual aid is HUGE.  What is it?

I gripe too often.

A friend and I took a 21-Day challenge not to gripe.  Here's the deal - we had to put on a bracelet and any time we gripe or complain, we move the bracelet to the other arm.

I've worn different bracelets each day.  The point is to wear one!
When you have to move that bracelet from one arm to the other, it truly makes you more aware of what you are saying!  There have been many times in the past week since I took the challenge that I started to say gripe about something, and I've stopped short, simply by seeing my bracelet.

We were also encouraged to take notes about what we're learning while wearing our bracelet.  So far my lessons have been:

  • I get frustrated when little things don't go right. A project I'm working on gives me trouble, a tool doesn't work properly, my watch decides to stop working all brought words of complaint.  Yeah, real important stuff like that.
  • Technology brings out my griping.  The slow Internet, the link on my blog that doesn't want to work, the picture that won't upload correctly all bring out complaining words.
  • People that I don't think are doing what is right also irritate me.  When believers don't listen to counsel given, or obey God's commands, I speak my frustration about them, rather than just taking their name to the Lord in prayer.
That little bracelet is teaching me much about my tongue and my heart.  It's kind of ugly, but it's a necessary lesson. We're reminded in Matthew 15:18, 19
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.  
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:



Ouch.  Do you think you're grumble-free?  Maybe you could join us and take the challenge and find out.  Slip on a bracelet and move it any time you complain or gripe about anything that day.  Oh, and just a heads-up - if you tell your husband or children what you're doing, you can be sure they'll "police" your words!  Ask me how I know! =)

With love (and my bracelet on the other wrist),


4 comments:

Kellie Wampler Price said...

I am also a visual learner, and boy is this challenge teaching me a lot! Who would’ve thought that moving a bracelet from one wrist to another could teach me so many lessons?! The bracelet changes depending on the day, the outfit or the mood...but the reminder is always the same - my thoughts reveal what is in my heart and my words reflect my thoughts...and both greatly affect my attitude. The bracelet is a constant visual reminder to watch what I say…and more importantly to be aware of what is in my heart. I am very thankful for the lessons that God is teaching me through this challenge and for a friend that challenged me and will hold me accountable!

With my bracelet also on the other wrist,
Kellie

Denise said...

Thanks for taking the challenge, and thanks for your honesty! Hopefully we'll be changed after 21 days - or 42 or 63... =)

Kimberly said...

I love this challenge. I did it when I went through the book "what's it like to be married to me?" By Linda Dillow and BOY was that challenge soooo helpful in showing me where I could make changes in my own life, thus affecting my home.

Denise said...

It's definitely an eye-opener as to when I gripe and what little things irritate me! Yikes!