Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Peek From My Porch


If you had peeked in from my porch yesterday you would've seen that I had the privilege of providing meals for a couple families in our church.  What a blessing!  My kitchen is a favorite way of mine to serve others.  First thing in the morning, I got busy and I doubled my recipe for Sausage Corn Chowder; I gave half to one family and half to the other.

I don't tell you that to brag, but only to tell you about a lesson that the Lord brought to my heart as I finished up providing for others.  After dishing up the portions for those for whom I had cooked, I was now faced with the meal for my own household.  To be honest, the temptation to do something "easy" or even suggest we go out was at knocking at my door.  Then the Lord brought to my mind the principle that my home is my first ministry.  While it's all well and good to do kind things for others, if I neglect those that are closest to my heart, I am really missing the most important ones for whom I can minister.

Expanding on that thought, let's ask:

  • Why teach a Sunday school class if I'm not regularly instructing my own children in the Word of God?
  • Why go on a mission's trip if I'm neglecting to share the Gospel with my family, close friends and neighbors?
  • Why provide for the underprivileged if I fail to take proper care of those in my own house?
  • Why go out with my girlfriends when I haven't made sure that I've had a date with my husband?
  • Why roll out the welcome mat and make a fuss over guests when I'm not making my own family know how special they are?
These acts listed above are all great things to do, but we must stop and make sure we're keeping up with my God-given priorities first.



While I was making salad for the others, I also made up bowls of salad for us.  Then I proceeded to start on Chicken Gnocchi for our dinner.  I'm pretty sure my husband was glad I didn't neglect cooking for him, too!

What are you doing for others that you need to make sure you're also doing for your family?

With love from my country porch,




2 comments:

amy said...

I'm making the Sausage Corn Chowder tonight! It's so easy to make, and so delicious too. My parents are coming in at dinnertime and after a long drive it will hit the spot. We're having your garlic cheddar biscuits with it!

Denise said...

It IS good day for a comforting chowder! Hope they love it! You're a great daughter!