Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Peek From My Porch

This is a week for a couple of birthdays in my family - my husband's is tomorrow and my mom's was yesterday.  Since I couldn't be with her, I called her last night on Skype.  I'm so thankful for the Internet options like that!  What a blessing!

My sweet parents

As we were chatting, the subject of my parent's  upcoming 60th anniversary came up. My mom said, 
"When I think of 60 years together I think, 'Wow!'  We sure have had our ups and downs and ins and outs, but we decided at the beginning that we would stick together forever.  When couples go into marriage thinking they'll divorce if things don't go well, they're bound for divorce.  When the hard times come, and they will, they bail out  instead of toughing it out."
Her statement reminded me of a book I read last year where the author said, "Staying together until death means choosing that some days you will be unhappy." That's so true.  Let's face it, every day of marriage isn't bliss.  Misunderstandings happen, words are spoken out of turn, feelings are hurt, etc.  Those hard days aren't the ones we paste into our scrapbooks, but they are a part of the journey of our marriages.  They are a part of life, because we live in a fallen, imperfect world.  Those are the days that run us to our Savior and make us dependent  on Him for help to love our spouse.

And He does.

And the next day is better and we survived, and so did our marriage.

And soon we're looking at another anniversary because we made a promise to one another and to our God.

It's worth it to be unhappy every now and then.


With love and a prayer for your 60th anniversary,

6 comments:

Whitney Pendell said...

Aww, I love this! Realizing that the hard times will come but that they don't have to signal the end of your relationship makes a huge difference. I'm thankful for parents and grandparents who have been faithful to each other and their marriage vows! <3

Denise said...

Glad this encourages you! Marriage is with fighting for because God ordained it and it's a good gift!

Phyllis Camp said...

So true and precious. We're very near our 47th wedding anniversary and it's so worth it to keep on keeping on with the grace of God. Congratulations to your parents.

Denise said...

Thanks, Phyllis! Congratulations on the longevity of your marriage; what a wonderful testimony!

M said...

Thanks for the uplifting blog about marriage. We still enjoy life, although it's very different from the early days of our journey. Each day, year and season is to be enjoyed, not wishing you were in a different season, or wishing for what used to be, life is indeed a journey to be lived and enjoyed at each station of life.

Denise said...

Thanks for the good advice, Mom! I've watched you and Dad live this out all my life.