Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Peek From My Porch

A peek into my life this week...

One activity that I look forward to each Tuesday afternoon is my After-School Bible Club that I hold for my two next door neighbor children.  They have become so precious to me!  I've told you about it before, but today I need to give you an exciting update!

Our recent lessons have been on People who knew Jesus.  Last week we learned about Nicodemus coming to Jesus to understand how to have eternal life.  We've gone over and over how Jesus died and took the punishment for our sins, and that in order to go to heaven, we must receive Him as our own Savior.  

Yesterday our lesson was on the Woman at the well.  Here are a few pictures of the fun we had with the lesson.  I made a little well, using a canning jar, Popsicle sticks and rubber bands.  This was used as a teaching aid, but also for a review game we played after the story.  I served cups of "Well-O" (Jell-O) for their snack, complete with dollops of Cool Whip on top.  

They came to club yesterday with their new Bibles they'd gotten for Christmas!
As we talked about how Jesus gave the woman at the well Living Water, I reminded them that only Jesus could make us happy forever by saving us from our sins.  The six year-old said to me,

"I did that last week after church."

"You went to church somewhere last week?" I asked.

(I learned from their mommy after club that she and her brother call our club "church.")  She pointed to the floor and said, "Here.  After I came here last time, I went home to my room and prayed.

I gasped.  "You did?! Tell me about it.  Where were you? What did you do?"

She shared that she had gone home from club, and that night in her room, at her bed, she had prayed and asked Jesus to forgive her sins and save her.  She said no one else was in there except her cat.  =)  I hugged her and rejoiced and reminded her that God says in His Word that "whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved!  I also told her how wonderful it was that she had her whole life now to live for the Lord.  She nodded enthusiastically and smiled.

Many people hear a story like that and wonder if a child can really understand to make a decision to receive Jesus.  I did! I was seven - only one year older.  I knew I was a sinner - I'd lived with myself and knew my heart!  I knew I needed a Savior to get me to heaven.  When I heard that Jesus loved me and wanted to be my Friend and Redeemer, I was all in!  I never doubted or questioned what happened to me that day.

Oh, the happy tears my  husband and I shed as we prayed and thanked the Lord for this answer to prayer!  This little tune came to my mind as we ate supper...

Lord, lay some soul upon my heart,
And love that soul through me.
And may I humbly do my part.
To win that soul for Thee.
--Bayless Benjamin McKinney

I ask now, "Who's next, Lord?  Who do you want me to share the Gospel with now?  Will it be her brother that will soon understand and trust You?"  

I'll faithfully keep giving the Word and praying for that little guy.  It'll be another day of rejoicing at my house the day he, too, accepts Christ!

Who are you sharing the Gospel with right now?  Who has the Lord put on your heart?  Love them with Jesus' love and do what He tells you to do so that they can come to know Him, too.  There's nothing sweeter!

With love from my country porch,

No comments: