Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Peek From My Porch

I've enjoyed seeing the Facebook posts on people's walls of their year in review.  It's followed by saying, "It's been a great year; thanks for being a part of it."  Hmmmm, what did my year look like?

Last January I chose the word, "JOY" to be my word for the year.  I can't say that joy typified me, but I tried to come to choose joy in my circumstances, though there were some hard times!

February brought one of those "hard times," as we dealt with the near head-on car accident of our daughter and soon-to-be son-in-law.

We saw God's sovereign hand protecting and caring for them as He miraculously guided them safely out of the clutches of death.  We praise His name for His protection, and all that we learned through this trial!

In March we began gearing up for the May wedding by attending the wedding shower at our church for Alli.  Fun times!

Our annual trip to The Wilds for the ladies' retreat took place in April.  We were challenged and refreshed as we listened to Barb Leatherwood share from her cancer experiences.  It was a blessing, as always!

The highlight of my year had to be when my neighbor trusted Christ as her Savior in early May as we finished up week three of The Exchange.  Oh, the joy of seeing her bow her head to receive Him!!!

Of course the other joy in May was the wedding of Alli and Andrew!  All our family was here to see them get married!  What a blessing!


May also found us at our favorite place...the beach!  How many days 'til we return?  =)

In June we had the privilege of attending a Spiritual leadership conference in California.  We came home encouraged, refreshed spiritually and with a fresh perspective of where our ministry needed to head.  How thankful we are that our church provided so we could attend!


June also brought our 32nd anniversary.  The years are flying by!  I'm blessed to be married to Dale; He is God's gift to me!

The months of June and July were busy with the first Apples of Gold Class.  Six younger women met for six weeks with four of us older women to be taught cooking skills and biblical principles for being a godly woman.  I'm not sure who enjoyed it more - the younger women or the older!  Can't wait to do it again!


We had the blessing of hosting a Five-Day Bible Club at our house in August.  What a joy to see these little ones being taught the truths of God's Word!  It opened up the opportunity to host a weekly Bible Club later in the year with my two next door neighbor children.

In August, one of my most read posts was written.  It was entitled, World's Worst Mom.  We all feel that describes us on one day or another, right?  Maybe it will encourage you today.  You can find it here. 

September brought my birthday and my sweet husband's care and love demonstrated on that special day with breakfast in bed!

Another popular post occurred in October, when I wrote about something near to my heart - the importance of family mealtimes together.  If you didn't read it you'll find it here.

In the cool fall months I enjoyed getting to snuggle in on those first few snowy days we enjoyed and shared the warmth of our home with the one I love most.

November also brought the opportunity to share Thanksgiving with my family in KY ~ a privilege I never take for granted!


December found us travelling to be a part of the Mission Teen Retreat in Spain.  It was wonderful beyond my expectations to be able to participate in this event!  I'm so thankful to the Lord for allowing me the privilege to serve Him there!


We ended the year with our girls and their husbands in our home to celebrate Christmas together for the first time!  We had a great time of fellowship, worship and laughter.  How blessed we are!

Thank you, my readers, for hanging out with me this past year, and for reminiscing with me today at God's goodness in 2014.  I praise Him - the Giver of every perfect gift that comes from above!  To Him be the praise and glory for it all!

From my country porch,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog as part of my daily routine in 2014, and I will continue in the new year. You mentioned a lot of events and blog posts of yours from this past year; one of my favorites that I remember that was a challenge to me was the one entitled (I believe) "Choose Your Hard." You have no idea the blessing you've been to me; I will be forever grateful to the Lord for taking us to the Wilds when you and your husband were there. I am praying for more growth in my life in this upcoming year as I faithfully apply God's Word in daily living. Thank you for being a spiritual mother to so many.
Love, Karen E.

Denise said...

Karen, your sweet comment touched my heart. Wow ~ "A spiritual mother," what a privilege and responsibility that I don't take for granted! Thank you for reading daily. I trust that these simple thoughts will continue to guide you correctly as you desire to seek the Lord and please Him.

We are equally thankful that your family attended TW for that family camp and that our lives have intertwined. You are in my continued prayers!