Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2014

What's Cookin' in the Country?

When Pork Loins went on sale for $1.99 a pound at Kroger recently, I snagged one to put in my freezer for Sunday dinner and company!  There are several great things about serving a Pork Loin on Sunday after church - 

  1. They're delicious!
  2. You can cook it on Saturday and just warm it up when you get home and it still tastes great!
  3. It makes a savory gravy to serve on the meat and with potatoes
Because this cut of meat doesn't take long to cook, I prefer to cook it on Saturday so it doesn't dry out.  The one I cooked was just under five pounds, so it took only an hour and a half at 350 degrees.  I sliced it and put it on the platter, so all I had to to on Sunday was warm it up.

I found a new recipe that we LOVED.  This is a marinade for the meat, which I did on Friday night.  It's Dijon Mustard with pepper and Tarragon.  I don't know why this makes it so delicious, I only know that it does!  

Here's a little peek at the "line up" of my menu last Sunday!




Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cranberry Sauce
Hot Crash Potatoes
Green Beans
Apple/ Green Salad
Butter Dips
Apple Pie or  Brownies



Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cranberry Sauce
Ingredients

Pork:
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sauce:
1 1/2 cups whole-berry cranberry sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation

To prepare pork, combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork; seal and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400°. (I did it at 350)

Remove pork from bag, discarding marinade.

Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 4 minutes, browning on all sides. Place pan in oven; ( I covered it with foil) cook at 400° (350)  until thermometer registers 155°. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Cut pork into 1/4-inch slices; keep warm.

To prepare sauce, combine cranberry sauce and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Serve sauce with pork.

The Cranberry Sauce was wonderful with the meat! 
The pan juices looked like chocolate and tasted even better when I made a gravy using it!  Yummy!

Let me give yo another tip I learned from my sweet friend, Sue.  Warm your platters and bowls before putting the food into them.  It will keep the food warm longer.  I recently learned that my microwave has a plate warming setting!  I just put the dishes in there for a couple minutes and it's perfectly warm to receive the hot food!

Does your microwave have a plate warmer?  Mine was on the "Reheat" setting.  I hit "reheat" then 6.  Voila!  

With love from my country kitchen,

4 comments:

Whitney Pendell said...

Everything looks wonderful, as always. Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely use that for Thanksgiving.

Denise said...

You'll be glad you did! It's amazing how much it really helps to keep things at the right temp. Why didn't I think of this before?!

Stef Grennek said...

Everything looks delicious! Thank you for the great tip about warming the serving dishes. That is brilliant, especially this time of year!

Denise said...

Brilliant?! Wow, I wish I could take credit. =) But I'm happy to pass along this good info! Thanks, Stef.