Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Waiting For Answers to Prayer

It was a simple request, and one I could easily and gladly fulfill ~

"Mom, I've been asked to bring pie for Thanksgiving dinner.  Will you make my crusts for me?"

I started with, "Sure!"  Then I thought better.  "Well, how about if you come over and we'll each make crusts?  I can show you how as I make mine.  I'll help you if you need it."

And so, on said night, we pulled out the flour, Crisco, salt and ice water and we worked side by side.  I worked, she watched.  She worked, I watched.  The result?  Four beautiful crusts, ready for Thanksgiving dessert!



Some time later, I was talking to someone about why God doesn't always just answer our requests immediately.  The picture of my pie instruction to Alli came to mind.  God our Father is able and willing to answer any request we bring to Him.  But in His wisdom, He knows that it's sometimes better for Him to pull us up alongside Himself and instruct us while we're waiting.  We watch Him. as Alli kept her gaze on me. We listen to His voice, as she waited for my instruction and guidance.

Is He withholding because He wants to remind us of some past sin?  Does He want to make it hard on us just for the sake of making it hard?  What does Scripture say?

Matthew 7;11 - If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?  

God delights in giving to His children, but sometimes He waits that He might instruct us.
Psalm 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Keep praying about the desires on your heart.  But while you pray and wait, draw near to your Father Who longs to instruct you and teach you.  Then when He does answer and provide, you'll be far more ready to receive His perfect gift!

Look at the results Alli got!

Now think of your request...How much MORE shall your Father give good gifts to you who ask!

With love,

2 comments:

Hazel Cash said...

Thank you Denise! I love the analogies you use in your blogs! Miss you my friend!

By the way, I made an apple pie the other day and could not help but think of you and "my" lesson on making pie crusts ��

Denise said...

Thanks, Hazel. Glad you're still putting the pie crust lesson to use! I think of you so often!