Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Peek From My Porch

I looked at the clock- it was 7:47 a.m.  The bed was made (thanks to my sweet husband), I had finished my Bible study and prayer time, and the last of the laundry was folded and ready to be put away.  Getting up early has its perks!

Even if you're not necessarily a morning person by nature, there are ways to make the most of the morning. How?

  • Start the night before.  
    • Throw in a load of laundry into the washer.  It will be fine sitting in the machine until morning.
    • Get the coffee ready so all you have to do is hit "brew."  Set out your coffee cups and spoon, too.
    • Get breakfast things ready.  Set the cereal and bowls out on the table.  Set the table. 
    • If you're leaving home early, get your clothes ready, as well as your family's.
    • Have bags packed and ready to head out the door so you're not searching last minute for the library book due today or the test to be returned to the teacher.
  • Start the minute you wake up.
    • Pray, asking the Lord for strength and wisdom to use your day wisely for Him.
    • Pull the sheets up and smooth them out, so making the bed will be easier.  Resist the urge to tuck them under your chin and go back to sleep!
    • Make the bed as soon as you get up.  You'll already have one task done and the majority of your room looks neat just because the bed is made!
    • Remove the laundry from the washer and toss it into the dryer.  
    • Keep moving.  Get the coffee on.  
    • Have your time in God's Word while you sip your coffee.  Pray out loud so you don't get sleepy.
    • Remove the dried clothes and get them folded.  If you have children, get them to help with this.  Folding washcloths is a great task for a pre-schooler!  Teach them while they're young.
Keep moving through your morning, doing the most pressing tasks first.  Don't allow yourself to stop and do unnecessary things (Facebook, email, blogs, etc) before the real jobs are finished.  You'll be amazed at how much you can get done before you've been up and hour or two!

I hope this was helpful.  Have a productive day!

With love from my country porch,

2 comments:

Whitney Pendell said...

I love starting laundry first thing in the morning. It makes me feel like I'm getting so much done early in the day. I also like to run the dishwasher before we go to bed, and then empty it before I put away the breakfast dishes.

Denise said...

Yes, the dishwasher is another "maid" I like working for me when I'm sleeping!