Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Best Thing to Do On a Busy Day

There are some days when things seem overwhelming minutes after waking up.  The demands seem great, the energy minimal.  Too many obligations for the hours that lie ahead.  That's how Saturday morning was.  Ahead of me I needed/wanted to accomplish -

  • Bible Study and prayer
  • Exercise/Walk
  • Laundry
  • Prep for Sunday that included
    • Clothes ironed
  • Sunday dinner
    • Breakfast
    • Sunday School lesson reviewed
  • Monday blog completed, and maybe a day or two more started
  • Floors mopped and vacuumed
  • Granola made
  • Bathrooms cleaned
  I put my feet on the floor and thought, "Do the next right thing." Coffee in hand, I first headed for my time in the Word.  It was sweet and unrushed as I studied and heard from the Lord.

The next right thing was to put my walking shoes on and head out the door.  It was then that my husband informed me that friends were passing through and wanted to meet somewhere for lunch. 
Not today?!  Yes, today.

I was feeling Overwhelmed.


As I walked, I talked with the Lord.  I rehearsed to myself and said to God as I prayed, 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
Proverbs 3:5,6


He will direct your paths.  Yes.  What a comfort.  What a relief.  Then I prayed out loud...

"Lord, You know what I need to get done today.  I know I can trust You.  I want to be a blessing to others and to my husband, and if that will happen through meeting our friends for lunch, then I trust You.  Help me to accomplish what is important today and let go of the rest."

I went home with peace in my heart and the overwhelming feeling gone.  I had a spring in my step - even after a little more than a two mile walk in the country!

While I was getting cleaned up and dressed for the day, my husband sent me a text (he was still out running) -  Our friends got a late start and can't meet for lunch after all.  While I knew our time with our friends would've been sweet, this was the Lord's hand, and I knew it.  He had directed their steps, and mine, too.

All day I kept asking myself what the next right step was, and I kept my hand to the plow.  You know what?  At the end of the day, I had accomplished everything on my list, plus we had even taken off for a couple hours in the early evening to go out for supper and a drive through the country - something we hadn't even planned to do!  Isn't God good?

Starting my day with the Lord in His Word and prayer was, I know, the best thing I could've done - especially on a busy day. It's easy to think I need to move on to my list when I'm overwhelmed in the morning, but how wonderful to see the Lord direct me and enable me to accomplish exactly what He had designed for my day.

On your overwhelming days, stop and ask the Lord to help you take the next right step.  The first thing will always be to seek Him.  He will direct you and that will make for a profitable day!

Lovingly,

No comments: