Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Depressed About Death


Perhaps it is a normal part of life that as we age, we think more about death. I have thought a great deal about it recently.  A book I'm reading has death as the central theme.  Death has touched several families I know in recent days.  Then of course, there's the tragedy going on in Iraq and the suicide this week of an actor.

I realized yesterday that after all this thinking about death, I was feeling kind of depressed!  Then, as many other times, I took my burden to the Lord in the morning while having my quiet time.  As I read my daily Bible reading in Proverbs 13, I read about the wisdom and blessing of the righteous man.  I read,

The law of the wise is a fountain of life, 
to depart from the snares of death.

I believe that this is referring to the ability we have, through the Holy Spirit to escape sin's trap, but this verse was also an encouragement to me concerning the truth of death.  God's Word, the law, allows us to depart - not from death itself, but from the snares of death.  A snare is a trap.  For people who don't know the Lord as their Savior, and for one who doesn't know their Bible, death is a snare waiting to capture.  It's like a trap door, ready to take one prey.  

On the other hand, for those who have trusted Christ as their Savior, death holds a whole other set of words in Scripture.  I made a list of words that were connected to the believer and their death.  Here's a sampling:
There's nothing in that list to depress a believer!  Once again, the Truth of God's Word is what must dominate our thinking. Remind yourself that Christ is the Victor over death.  He always wins, therefore, so will we! 

If all the  talk around you about death and dying is discouraging you, take heart in the Truth!  We will live forever in heaven if we know Christ as our Savior!  With that reminder, live today to its fullest by telling someone else this Good news!  If you don't have the assurance of heaven after you die, you can read here about how you can know you'll have eternity with Christ when you die, and have a relationship with him now while you live on earth!

Lovingly,