Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Peek From My Porch

A Peek Into My Life this Week

I'm always interested in conferences/workshops that are going to motivate me to do something better, better myself, and my life in general.  Last year Whitney and I learned about the Becoming Conference.  It's not a "Christian" conference, but one for women to inspire you to become more creative, purposeful and frugal.  I love all three of those ideas, so, what's not to love about a weekend spent learning and sharpening your skills in those areas?

Last weekend was the fourth (or fifth) year for this conference.  If nothing else was accomplished, we had a fun Mother/Daughter get-away that included a night away, chocolate, and catching up on one another's lives.  That made it worth it right there!

This conference is put on by bloggers who have a passion for DIY projects, couponing and home.  We attended workshops that included some fun ideas.



  • Christy Jordan (top middle picture) from Southern Plate shared how to make sure you have a plan for supper every night.  
    • Check out her web site for the idea of putting meals together into bags so that all the ingredients are all in one place for the next supper you want to put together!  Genius.
    • She talked about keeping your pantry filled with shelf stable products like pasta and pasta sauces.  She also told us about Shelf stable milk you can purchase!  I am going to check that one out!
    • She shared about her Peanut Butter Balls that I'm going to try very soon!
  • Rhoda, from Southern Hospitality (bottom middle picture) showed pictures so that we might define our style in decorating.  Half of the battle in making your home lovely is deciding what you love! She reminded me how fun searching yard sales and thrift shops can be.  I'm challenged to hit the road some weekend around the bend!
  • Cents of Style was there again.  I love their accessories!  
    • Courtney shared about personal style.  My test showed I'm a classics girl (no surprise there!).  
    • One tip she shared is that lipstick is your best accessory!  So find a color you love and accessorize yourself!
    • Investing in essentials for your wardrobe is the smartest way to dress:
      • Good fitting jeans
      • Little Black Dress
      • Tailored Jacked/blazer
      • Perfect pumps
      • Amazing handbag
  • Edie from Life in Grace had some good thoughts about home.  Like...
    • As you empty the dishwasher, set the table at the same time with those clean dishes.  Two tasks in one have been completed!
    • Plan your dinner menu on your phone calendar.  Hit repeat weekly or biweekly. Now you have a whole month's worth of meals planned! 
    • Look at your children in the eye.  Let them know you see them.
    • Listen to podcasts while you work.
    • Rather than separating your artwork, put them on one wall and make it a gallery.
It was a lovely weekend, becoming more creative, purposeful and frugal.  Thanks for joining me on my porch so I could share it with you!

Is this a conference you'd be interested in?  You can watch for details for next year here,  or look for Becoming on Facebook.

With love from my country porch,

2 comments:

Whitney Pendell said...

It was so fun to spend the weekend with you! :)

Denise said...

Thanks for making the time and effort so we could do this!