Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Replace Discouragement by Gratitude

I've recently started reading a book with friends for a group study.  I have been eager to read this, but hadn't taken the time to do so.  The book is entitled, Choosing Gratitude, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.



My eagerness to read a book on gratitude came from who knows where?  Maybe the perky cover with the daisies drew me in.  Or maybe, just maybe it was the Spirit of God telling me I needed it.  Okay.  I'm going with choice number two.  It's obvious.  It was in the introduction that the Spirit's conviction began (who gets convicted in a book's intro?! One who is guilty!).  Here's where it began...

"When asked by C.J. Mahaney about areas where he was vulnerable to discouragement in ministry Dr. Cruden responded, "Honestly, I don't often become discouraged.  I continue to see evidence of God's work in my life and the lives of those around me, and I am simply overwhelmed with thankfulness to Him."

I don't know about you, my friend, but I am too prone to look at what isn't happening rather than what is!  Isn't that the devil's tool?  One looks at the rotten attitude of their children and will focus, hammer, and plant themselves right there, rather than praising them and the Lord for the step of immediate obedience or brave decision to do right.  We may meditate on the one negative comment our husband made, and completely miss the compliment.  The critic in our life at work or in the ministry we're involved in blows us away, when we know that the only right judge of our motives and heart is the Lord, and that by God's grace, there are many who are being impacted as a result of His Word going out!

What a sweet lesson I've learned - to distract discouragement in my own heart, I must purposefully and intentionally look for how God is at work in my life and others around me!  This will cause gratitude to swell in my heart, leaving no room for the heavy, weighty plague of discouragement!

Have you read Choosing Gratitude?  How are you seeing God at work in your life and others' lives today?  Rejoice and be grateful!

With a thankful heart,

2 comments:

Kellie Wampler Price said...

I purchased this book at the Wilds during our ladies retreat. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I am anxious to read it...especially now that I've read this blog post!

Denise said...

You'll be thankful you did! =)