Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Be Together - Even When You're Apart

The car engine starts, the garage door opens, and your husband's car is headed out the driveway...again. How you miss being with him, and dread yet another day apart.




 As you know, I have a daughter who is a newlywed.  It's so sweet to see their new home established and the love they share.  I see myself in her and I recall the wonder of being able to be with my husband all the time.  What a blessing it was for us after being separated by three hours!  I was so thankful to be with him constantly!  But after the honeymoon, life stepped in; we each had ministries, jobs and responsibilities.  We couldn't be together every minute.  There are some days we only see each other a matter of an hour or so, depending on the demands in our life.

One day the Lord reminded me that rather than feeling an emptiness when we were apart, I could go to the Lord in prayer for my  husband, and it brought us "together!"  There's no way I could always know what my husband needed (even when we were together), but when I went to the Lord and prayed that God would be His all that day, or when I asked God to provide His need, to guard his heart, to give him wisdom for decisions he needed to make, God did for him what I could not.

Then, I found a verse in Proverbs that helped me to add another request to my prayers.  Verse 20 says,

That thou mayest walk in the way of good men,
and keep the paths of the righteous.

I then began to pray for the Lord to put good men, godly men in my husband's path while we were apart.  Men who will be reminders to him of what it looks like to remain a man of integrity.  Men who will keep him accountable and challenge His walk with God.  Time and time again, I have seen the Lord answer this prayer as I learn of associates, friends, and fellow-believers, who have "bumped into" my husband's life and encouraged him, from both afar off and nearby.

So, if you wish you could spend more time with your husband, or even if there seems to be a distance between you, when you're together, how about investing a little more time in prayer for him?  Then be specific when you make requests by asking God to surround him with "good men."  That will knit your hearts together in such a way that you'll feel like he was right there with you through your day!

Are there specific verses you pray for your husband? 

With love,

4 comments:

Whitney Pendell said...

Thank you for this! I pray Proverbs 3:5-6 for him during the day. As he's working and making decisions, I ask the Lord to help him acknowledge Him in all he does.

Denise said...

Praying Scripture is the best way to pray!

Alli Isbell said...

Thanks for this! It was really encouraging!

Denise said...

I'm glad! It really is helpful! Oh, and, I feel your pain! =)