We're all in this situation over and over again. You'd think it would get easier, but truth be known, each decision is just as difficult as the last. I'm still on this path, too, mind you, but I have learned a little about God's directives and what He does when we look to Him for direction.
- Make sure your decision is biblical. If you're praying about doing something that God clearly points out as sin, you can stop praying. God has already shown His will concerning that. Is dating or marrying an unsaved man a question for you? Forget it. God's drawn the line in His Word. Have you been offered a job that is great money, but would lead you away from church on a regular basis? Why pray about that? God wants you to draw to Him. Going into business with an unsaved person? God wants to protect you. Obey His Word. You can trust God's Word.
- Connect what happens next after you pray. It is so easy to be earnest in prayer, asking the Lord to show you what to do, then get up off your knees and completely forget what you just prayed!
- For example, about 5 months ago or so, my husband and I had been invited to Spain to come and speak at a Teen Mission Retreat. What a wonderful opportunity! How terrific to return to a place we'd visited before and for which we have a burden! What a blessing to get to invest in young lives there! But then, we wondered:
- Could we afford it? The ministry that invited us would take care of us once we got there, but we needed to provide our flight over. How would we come up with air fare for a flight like that?
- Is that a good time to be away?
- Who would fill in while we're gone?
- Just because it's a good thing, is it what God wants us to do?
- While we were praying about it, we had a revival meeting at our church. One night the evangelist preached about using your life to the fullest while you have the opportunity. I felt the Lord tugging at my heart concerning Spain. When we got home from the service that night and we were lying in bed talking about the preaching, I asked my husband if God had spoken to him about the trip. "Yes! I really believe the Lord is telling us to go." He then immediately got up and emailed the missionary to tell him he could plan on us attending the retreat. We'd prayed. God used a preacher to confirm His will.
- We've prayed about God's provision for the airfare, then, just this week, totally out of the blue, someone called and had learned we were going and wanted us to know that they'd been directed of the Lord to help with our flight! God continues to confirm His will and provide for His plan. You can trust God's leading
- When we were praying about our recent house purchase, it seemed totally ridiculous to think about! We prayed. God dropped the house plans for this house in our laps by a woman in our church. We kept walking through that open pathway and in a way that only God could do, here we are today. I'm amazed every single morning when I open my eyes here! You can trust God with the impossible
I trust this helps and encourages you today in whatever decision you need to make. The Lord wants to show you what decision to make. Be patient and let Him lead you in His perfect Word, way, power and time!