Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Bow Release Day

Every time a new baby is born at our church, my husband reads Psalm 127.  It's a precious passage:

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it:
except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows:
for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
 Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord:
and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man;
so are children of the youth.
 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them:
they shall not be ashamed,
but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Last week we got to go see a precious baby girl born into our church.  Her mommy and daddy and big brother are all quite taken with her, and with good reason.  She is so sweet.  I got the privilege of holding this baby girl as my husband read the above Scriptures to the family.  Then he began his explanation:

"This little girl is an arrow.  All the while you're training her, you are "holding her in the bow.  While she's growing up, you pull back the bow a little further and a little further.  One day, when she is grown, you'll have to release this arrow.  If you have trained her for the Lord, she will go straight; towards the Lord.  That's what you're aiming for all her life."


This is my nephew and his son.
I know he and his wife are doing exactly what this verse teaches!
Suddenly I was taken back to twenty-two years ago when God gave us a third arrow in the form of Alli. As I listened to my husband reading this psalm now, the clear understanding of an upcoming wedding and "bow release time" hit me.  I blinked back the tears, swallowed hard and prayed in my heart,

"Oh God, let Alli and Andrew both go straight when they're released on May 10th.  Help them to stay the path of walking with you all their lives!"

Do you have an "arrow" that God has given you?  Are you daily pulling the bow back as you train, teach, and pray?  One day you will have to release that arrow and it will go in the way in which you have been pointing it.  Which direction will that be?  You're the one in control today; make good choices - Bow Release Day is coming sooner than you think!

This isn't written in sadness, but sobriety.  I hope it stirs you to parent with God's help and strength today!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I thought that was the sweetest picture of Brad and Cade. Cade sure loves his daddy and for good reason. Brad spends so much time with him teaching him how to . . . whatever he is doing. Sweet analogy. Praying for you all this week especially!

Denise said...

It is a precious picture. Brad was sweet to let me use it! Thank you for your prayers for us!!