Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Peek From My Porch

How time changes things!  This was the first Memorial Day that our guests were married children!  What a sweet offer Alli made after I invited them to come, "What would you like me to bring?"  Wow.  Just Wow!  Of course I didn't say, "Just bring yourselves!"  I said, "What would you like to bring?"  She offered her wonderful Deviled eggs and also Baked Beans.  Both were delish!

If you peeked from my porch on Memorial Day you would have also seen that my husband worked really hard in the backyard.  He planted some small shrubs at the back of our porch to create a bit of a border.  It looks so pretty.  I also potted some herbs that will be at my fingertips when I'm cooking, since they're on the patio, just outside the kitchen door!  I love cooking with fresh herbs!  I got parsley, chocolate mint (!), and thyme.  We also planted Cherry Tomatoes.  So it was a productive day, as well as a delicious one!

Here we are getting ready to partake of the grilled hamburgers and side dishes.

The real showstopper of the meal was dessert ~ Strawberry Shortcakes.  These shortcakes are from Cooking Light and are every bit as delicious as the "regular" recipe with twice as much shortening!  Put these on your menu for Fourth of July.  Your family will thank you!

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled stick margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Cooking spray
6 tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
Whole strawberries (optional)
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat dough into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle. Cut dough into 6 squares. Place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Split shortcakes in half horizontally using a serrated knife; place each bottom half on a dessert plate. Spoon 1/4 cup strawberry mixture over each bottom half. Top with shortcake tops; spoon 1/4 cup strawberry mixture over each top. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping; garnish with whole strawberries, if desired.

What did you do for Memorial Day?  Work or play?

From my country porch,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to the little town of Mount Airy/aka "Mayberry" and walked up and down Main Street visiting some shops, and we had lunch at "Walker's Drug Store." We took the children to see the beautiful memorial that is at the end of Main Street in Mt. Airy that honors all of the soldiers from that county who have died in any American war going back to the War for Independence. We came home and I fixed diner for my family and in-laws who are visiting from out of town. A wonderful part of the day was the beginning when I was able to sit outside on the front porch and read and pray for awhile--much needed time. The Lord is good! I am glad you enjoyed your day as well :)

Love, Karen E.

Denise said...

Being the HUGE fans of Andy Griffith that we are, Mt. Airy is a spot I'd love to see! Sounds like a "fun day all in all." =)