Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Peek From My Porch


I love being home.  I love being married.  Put those two ingredients together and you have one great date night at home!  If I love being with my husband in the warm atmosphere of our home, then one of the obvious places and preferences for our date nights is home.  You might raise your eyebrows and say, "Date nights? Why do you need a date night?  Your children are gone!  You're alone most of the time!"  That is all true, but it's also true that we have to be intentional about stopping our busy routines and demands to schedule quality time together as a couple.  We need to plan time to just kick back and have fun, talk and connect regularly.  Otherwise, we could both stay wrapped up in our own little worlds!

I've committed myself to creating a date night at home once a week this year.  There are a lot of advantages about home dates:

  • They're very cost-effective!
  • You don't have to get out in cold/rainy/snowy weather!
  • You can  make the setting just as you'd like it to be!
  • You always get preferred seating!
  • There's no waiting in line!
  • If you have children, their bedtime is your babysitter!

One of our favorite places to go in the wintertime is Cracker Barrel, and we always have the hope of getting a seat in front of the fireplace (us and 100 other people!).  Well, now that we have a fireplace, I couldn't wait to pull our round kitchen table up right in front of it for a romantic and cozy supper meal!




Last week late in the afternoon, my parson-husband had some errands to run in town.  Not long after he departed, I got busy "setting the stage" for our fireside dinner date!  I pulled the table in front of the fire, lit candles, turned on Pandora, and made our dinner.  I wish I would have taken a picture of his face when he returned home and rounded the corner of the living room and saw the table all set for our meal!  It was priceless...and it made me really glad I'd gone to the little bit of trouble to make it special.

I didn't fix a gourmet meal - as a matter of a fact, I used some leftovers and added a salad and rolls to it!  It took very little effort to let him know that I was thinking about him while he was away.  We spent about an hour and a half at the table, eating, talking, and just enjoying one another's company!


Having a candlelit dinner might not be your cup of tea, but whatever it is that you and your  husband could enjoy at home, why not pull out all the stops and create an evening (or an hour) of a date night to surprise him?

  • Play games 
  • watch a movie and pop popcorn 
  • have dessert in your bedroom
  • look at old photos 
  • watch your wedding video 
  • read a book 
The list is endless.  The memories you'll create will be worth the little bit of planning it takes to make it happen!

While you're at it, why not keep a diary of your dates so you won't forget the fun you've had?

Do you plan dates at home?  

From my country home,

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love home dates, specifically because they are cozy and cost effective. The cost of babysitting only allows us to go out once a month, so we have to be creative too. We find a lot of home date ideas online. There are tons of great ideas out there! Thank you for the reminder that whether your children are small or grown up, it's important to be intentional.

Kimberly said...

I love home dates, specifically because they are cozy and cost effective. The cost of babysitting only allows us to go out once a month, so we have to be creative too. We find a lot of home date ideas online. There are tons of great ideas out there! Thank you for the reminder that whether your children are small or grown up, it's important to be intentional.

Denise said...

Yay for you and James! Getting out is good, but there's something to be said for staying home!