Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

What's Cookin' in the Country?

Some meals include those wonderful blow-out recipes.  The meal includes a special menu that calls for special ingredients.  Then some days, when you've been really busy and just need a good wholesome meal, you peek into the freezer and pantry and make a meal with what you have!  Enter yesterday's Sunday dinner.

I had spent most of Saturday doing some cookie baking and then making my homemade pizza
Homemade Herbed Cheese Pizza
for our Saturday night meal. (This is a great recipe!) After supper we had the awesome privilege of heading out the door to join friends for the Johnson City Symphony.  Such fun!  When I returned home Saturday night the last thing I wanted to do was get back into the kitchen and make a big Sunday dinner.  Sooooooo, I concocted a simpler menu in my mind and took care of it Sunday morning!  This is real life, folks.  It's where we all live.  So, rather than not post about my pretty ordinary meal, I decided to share it, in the event that you, too, will need a simple go-to menu for a busy day!

Menu:
Apple and Pork Chops
Baked potatoes
French-style Green Beans with Almonds
Cottage Cheese
Toasted Nine-Grain Bread
Apple Pie (Thanks Sam's Club!)

I found some great little pork chops on sale at Ingles last week.  The nice thing about them is that they don't require much cooking time.  I popped them into the crock pot on low.  I seasoned them with salt and pepper, then covered them with apple butter.  I added about a cup and a half of water to the crock pot to keep them moist.

After I got home from church I cooked up some apple slices with a  little water, sugar and cinnamon. Then I topped my pork chops with them.  Yum!  I love pork and apples together.

Pork Chops and Cooked Apples


Here's my plate:


Green beans are a staple vegetable and soo easy to prepare.  Add the can of beans to a skillet, undrained.  Add a couple tablespoons of butter or margarine.  Cook until the liquid evaporates.  Season with salt.  I added a couple tablespoons of almonds.

The baked potatoes have that nice, crispy skin.  I accomplish that by spraying them with cooking spray after piercing them with a knife.  I add coarse salt to the outside and bake them on my timed oven feature for one hour at 400 degrees.  The oven turned off five minutes after we walked in from church!  Hot, crispy potatoes.  Such a great, easy Sunday vegetable!

This is simple, but just proof that a home-cooked meal is doable - even on busy days.  Use what you have, be creative, and serve it in style.  Your family will be thankful, as well as full.  =)

With love from my country kitchen,


No comments: