Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Advance Preparations for Thanksgiving



Thanksgiving is two weeks away!  I'm so excited that we are getting to host my parents, daughter and son-in-law, both of my sisters and brothers-in-law, and one nephew and his girlfriend.  There will be twelve of us gathered (Lord willing and the snow doesn't fly!) to give thanks to the Lord for His blessings.  It will be so special to have everyone here and to spend a couple of days together as a family.  We will eat, talk, share our blessings from the Lord in the past year, which will make us cry (we call this our "Puff Moment!"), play games, talk about Christmas sales, and I''m sure watching football is bound to be in there as well!

No one wants to be so stressed so as not to be able to enjoy all that fun, so I'm trying to plan and do as much ahead as possible.  This week I've made my pie crusts and frozen them.  I also made up cookie dough that I'm going to bake up as "place cards" for the tables.

I've made out a list of all the things I can think of to do beforehand, to help me be organized and not neglect anything.  You see my list below, and you can also go here if you'd like to print one off for yourself.






If you're hosting Thanksgiving this year, perhaps this will help calm you, too!  Listed below are some sites that offer a timeline to keep you on track while planning and preparing for Thanksgiving, if you don't want to make your own.  Here are some I found:

Real Simple

Martha Stewart

BHG - Timeline

Food Network

Williams Sonoma

Home Made Simple

All Recipes - If you only have Wednesday to prepare, this is for a Last Minute Thanksgiving.

Blissfully Domestic - Plans, dishes used, minute by minute schedule for Turkey day
I'm especially fond of this list found on Epicurious.  Though their list began with plans from five weeks away, it will help you be really prepared ahead of time!

Are you hosting Thanksgiving?  What do you do to stay ahead of the game?

Happy planning!




No comments: