Search This Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Forgiving Offenses


As surely as the leaves fall from the trees in autumn, offenses will also fall around us.  We look down at our feet, and the hurts are scattered everywhere.  They come from those that are closest to us - our husband, our children, our parents, our dearest friends with whom we have shared confidences and our very hearts.  It's stinging.  It's bitter.  It's what life is full of, and the reason we need a Savior.  He makes sense of it all.  He puts our hearts back together and reminds us of the same grace and love that forgave us of our offenses.

The question now is - How do I forgive this?!  We have had the unimaginable said to us, done to us or thrown at us, and we have no idea how to go on.  We must run to

Ephesians 4:32 ~ 
and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, 
forgiving one another, even 
as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
How were we forgiven?  Psalm 103:12 ~
As far as the east is from the west,
so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
It. is. gone.

This omniscient God who saved us chooses not to think about my sin!  Amazing.  I, on the other hand am prone to 
think, dwell, and mull 
over the sin others commit against me.  If I really forgive, I will choose not to think on it.  I move my mind to something else that fits into Philippians 4:8 way of thinking.  Things that are ~

True~Honest~Just~Pure~Lovely~Virtuous
instead of the offence.
Take your mind off of the offense and onto Christ.  Make a choice not to think about the hurt, but about your sweet Savior Who forgave you.  Then you will have forgiven the way Christ forgives you.  

You cannot put leaves that have fallen back on the tree.  Let offenses lie, too.  Think on them no more.  That is forgiveness.

With love,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Needed this today.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I needed this, too.
I have been crushed! My heart ripped to shreds! I.m speechless! Yes, we as a couple have bourne and survived unbearable sorry.
Yet, why would he secretly "just look" to see who is out on match.com and anywhere else?
Remind me again how to forgive~
No name today or for the last two weeks. Feeling pretty invisible lately

Denise said...

I am praying for your comfort, friends. The reason any of us sin?Well, it's because that's what is in our heart.

Matthew 15:18,19 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Remember that God sees the sin; He also sees your pain. He cares. I Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Jesus knew what it was like to be betrayed. Where is God when we suffer? He's in the same place He was when He watched His Son suffer on the cross. Remind yourself of God's unfailing love...and of His forgiveness of your sin. I am praying for you, friends.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Denise. I believe you.

So many promises have been broken over time, I think I.ve become a cynic. Yes, God has not failed me...my husband has. I also believe God said He is Father to the fatherless and Husband to the widows. I accept both.

My plan is to drowned in God's Word and take in all the comfort and promises He has. Looking forward to coming forth as gold~