Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Peek From my Porch

Today I'm going to take you off the porch and we're going to go inside and then upstairs to a place that is very special to me.  There's nothing sacred about this place; there's no burning bush, but it is dear to me, because it is where I've chosen to meet with the Lord each day.

This is a zoomed in picture of my family room.  The view is beautiful from my red chair.  I sit here with coffee at hand (that's a necessity in the morning!) and open God's Word to get my heart right for the day.  It's the most important part of my day.  It takes precedence  over fixing my hair and my face, and trust me, they need attention!  It rules over making the bed or cleaning the bathroom, though they, too, are screaming for attention.  I realize that if my heart is not right, nothing in my day will be right.  I can't get here fast enough.  You see, I'm a wretch without my Savior!

Sitting beside my chair is my basket, holding all the things I need for my quiet time.




After I've studied the Word, I spend time in prayer.  I've got the BEST place to pray in our new house.  I go into the master bathroom to the door that is closed in this picture; it's my closet.



I get into this little corner of the closet and either sit on this stool, or kneel in front of it and pour my heart out before the Lord. What I love about this space is the quiet I find there. In the devotional book, "Jesus Calling," the author writes, "Quietness is the classroom where you learn to hear my voice." In the quiet, I pray.  I read this verse yesterday in Psalm 62 and it reminded me that the Lord Jesus wants us to pour out our heart to Him!
Trust in him at all times;
ye people, pour out your heart before him:
God is a refuge for us. Selah.  

By God's' gracious hand, I have a lovely home, but my closet is becoming one of my favorite spots because of the nearness of the Lord when I dump it all onto Him.  He is near.  He hears.  He answers.  Yesterday after I prayed, I was still.  In the quiet the Lord brought the song to my mind, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.  I sang it to Him as I knelt.  Wow.  My literal prayer closet was my sanctuary.  How blessed.

I have a friend who has moved for a short while.  She sent me a picture recently of the place that she has created for her quiet time.  It made my heart smile, because it showed me much more than a space in her house; it showed me her heart.  She has a heart that is hungry for the Lord!

Where do you meet with God?  Have you created a spot to worship - to read and pray?  I bet it's your favorite place in your home too!

With love from my country porch,

No comments: