Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2013

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

Okay, I have a confession...I didn't cook at all this weekend.  My head is hung, not in shame, but because I'm doodling on my paper.  I got to attend the Becoming Conference in Black Mountain, SC this weekend!  My sweet daughter, Whitney invited me to attend with her, and I'm so glad I got to go.  It was something totally new and different, refreshing, enlightening and just FUN!  So my doodling on paper is an effort to try to remember all the great things that I learned while I was away and then make a plan to implement those good ideas!


In reference to today's subject of cooking, let me tell you about session I attended on freezer cooking.  This sweet woman, Jackie Brown, writer of Mom on a Mission, shared some great tips on preparing meals, not just for your own family, but also enough to share with others. Her motto is "Sharing Christ through freezer cooking."  I loved her perspective on being prepared to be a blessing to others.  It goes along with our Discipleship theme at Boones Creek Bible Church.  I mean, it's great to know where you're going with your own meal plan and how you're going to provide for your family, but if you're also able to reach out to others in a way that is simple and thoughtful, that's icing on the cake!  I hope you'll check out her site.  She's got menu plans, recipes that are healthy, and a great perspective on mealtime.

How about if I share my menu for this week with you?  This is going to be a crazy two weeks with finishing our packing and preparing to move (loud, happy squeal here!), but I am resolved to use my crock pot and the great fresh vegetables that others have shared with us, to provide healthy meals to sustain us while we pack and heft those boxes!

Tomato Pie
Crock Pot Beef and Gravy
Tacos using Crock Pot Taco Meat - Love this new idea!
Stuffed Baked Potatoes topped with Crab meat (I found the imitation crab meat on sale!)
Fresh Garden Veggies and Corn Bread

What's on your menu this week?  Do you have a plan for how you make meals for others?

With love from my parsonage kitchen,

5 comments:

Whitney said...

I'm so glad we got to go together, it was great!

This week I'm making:

Grilled cheese pizza paninis
Chicken Burritos
Baked ziti
Hot roast beef subs with vidalia onions


Denise said...

Wish I could just pop over for dinner - sounds good!

Karen said...

Looks like a fun time together!

Fish Tacos
Seared Tuna w/Wasabi Butter Sauce
Gnocchi w/tomato meat sauce
Pesto Fettucine

buono appetito!
(Fish sale + Italy still on my mind)

Denise said...

Oh!I love wasabi butter sauce! Your menu sounds delicious!

Karen said...

The tuna with wasabi butter sauce was amazing and WONDERFUL. Try it at allrecipes.com. The gnocchi, not so.