Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Peek Inside the Parsonage

Yesterday was a BIG day for us.  After nearly eight months to the day of my mother-in-law's home going, her condo is completely boxed up, emptied, and cleaned.  It's all ready for its new owner who moves in TODAY!  Whew.  We are on the bushed side, to say the least, but we are so thankful that this task is behind us. It. Was. Huge.

Working over there for so many weeks has really made me stop and think about my own possessions.  We all love our stuff, but I'm contemplating long and hard about how much stuff I really need.  This is one reason I've gotten rid of so much just recently.  I want to really love, need and use the things that are in my home.  The rest is just clutter, weighing me down.  It will also just be a burden to my girls some day.  I desire, by God's grace, to continue to pare down on stuff  because one day it will all be reduced to this...


Boxed up, emptied and cleaned out.  What's really going to matter is the stuff of eternity - the treasures I have sent ahead.  The people I'm taking with me.  The influence that I'll leave behind that will leave a legacy that could influence others for Christ.

So, in the days ahead, I'm not printing off any more pictures, but loading them onto a hard drive.  I'm loading books on my Kindle or checking them out from the library.  I'm making use of a consignment shop and Goodwill to distribute the things I don't wear.  I'm sharing things with my girls that they can use.  I'm going to take pictures of sentimental objects and then eliminate the item from my home.  Cards will be kept for a short time, enjoyed, then gotten rid of.  I want to enjoy my home and those that enter its doors rather than fuss over the clutter that's keeping me in bondage.  Life is about people - not stuff!

How about you?  Do you need to start opening your hands and letting go of things?  Are there boxes stashed away in an attic that have forgotten contents?  Why not start sorting through, then getting rid of those things? Share it.  Sell it.  Give it.  I bet you'll be surprised at how freeing (and refreshing) it is!

With love from the parsonage windows,

 

1 comment:

Debby Whitsitt said...

Denise, excellent entry..again. You and Dale have accomplished a huge task and have been bathed in prayer.

You are absolutely right about people being the treasures.

A question: how hard has it been to take a picture for the memory value and not keep the items?

We recently went through a purging and now pictures need to be taken and others blessed. It's really hard to not keep holding on. Steven and Megan want only a handful of items, if that. What was important to my GreatGrandparents and passed down throu generations is much less important to to my son.

So what do I do when working at getting our home "in order", "less cluttered" or "blessed" ? Hey, I'd like opinions fron ALL your readers ;)

Loving you~ Debby