Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Holding Pattern


I'll never forget my first plane ride.  I was 15, traveling by myself to visit my aunt and uncle in Michigan.  I was a bit apprehensive, but the businessman seated beside me kept me informed of all that was going on around me, to help alleviate my fears.  When we could see that we were close to the Detroit airport, we realized that we were circling in the air, rather than landing.  We were in a "holding pattern" I was told. The pilot came over the speaker to tell us that the landing equipment would not drop down, and we would have to circle until it was safe for us to land.  I was informed by the man beside me that we could possibly have to slide down an evacuation chute! This was not exactly the way I wanted my first trip in the air to turn out!  However, the pilot soon told us that it was only the light in the control panel that wasn't working!  The equipment was down and ready for our safe landing. I'm not sure if someone on the ground or the air traffic control could see the landing gear in place and radioed the pilots, or it they simply replaced the bulb on the panel, but no matter, there would be no more circling uselessly in the air.  Whew.  We were all relieved!

For what seems to be a very long time now, I've been in anther kind of "holding pattern." It's the kind where the Lord is saying, "Wait. Wait."  We can't see why.  It doesn't always make sense, but we know that far better than the air traffic control, God sees the whole picture - the present and the future.  He wants to lift us above ourselves and see everything in light of His plans.  The Psalmist said, "The Lord will perfect that which concerns me" (Psalm 138:8). I'm so thankful I can rest in Him while we circle one more time!

What is bogging you down today?  Trust the Lord to pilot you.  He knows what is best and you can trust Him!  He loves you and He will bring you safely to the landing strip.

With love,

2 comments:

Kimberly L said...

Thanks for this post. I, too, have been in a holding pattern lately. Not knowing what the Lord has for me or what it is exactly that He wants me to do.

Denise said...

Stay by the stuff, Kim. God will show you his plan in His time.Tomorrow's post will help you to know what to do while you wait. Praying for you.