Search This Blog

Thursday, May 2, 2013

My Own Devices


Yesterday morning when I got up, the sun was rising over the hillside in all its glory.  Not to be outdone, a half moon was shining brightly as well.  It was a glorious sight!  I looked up at the moon and said to my husband, "I love thinking about how God makes the moon reflect light of the the sun.  It's amazing!"  I snapped this picture of the moon before grabbing my cup of coffee and heading to my Quiet Place for my devotions.

Then opening to Proverbs 1, I read,

Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.  
Proverbs 1:28-31

How sad when we ignore God and His ways and choose instead what we want.  This passage reminds us that it is our choice.  We learn what we will get as a result is the fruit of our own way as well as our own devices.

I thought back to the moon I had looked at earlier.  Could I make a moon like that?  Of course that is ridiculous!  If left to my own devices to create a moon, mine would look like an elementary child's science fair project:

Yes, I would make it with Styrofoam balls and skewers.  It would not reflect, it would not rotate on its own.  It would not create the tides.  It would not travel at over 2,000 miles an hour.  It would have no astronauts footprints in its surface.  My moon would not rise.  It would not set.  It would sit be there...because that is all I can do with my own devices.

Looking into all the details of our life, how could any of us think we have a better plan than God has for us?  When we ignore His ways and His Word, we are left to our own devices.  So, how will we work out the trial when it hits us with a force, not of a tidal wave, but more like a tsunami?  Remember, if we go our own way and ignored God's promptings, when trouble comes we're left to the device of our own hands.  How will we provide for ourselves or our families when the money is gone?  All we have is the fruit of our own hands.  How long will that last?

The real question to answer today is, which are you trusting in, an omnipotent, creative God's plan for your life, or your own Science Fair entry?  There's a huge contrast, not just in looks, but in results!

Don't be left to your own devices because of your stubbornness.  Submit to the God who loves you.  Draw near to Him, and He will draw near to you.  James 4:8

With love,


No comments: