Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Roll Out the Welcome Mat



I got a new welcome mat last Saturday at a sweet little shop we love in Erwin.  I usually get a new one each spring, due to the winter weather fading and wearing out the current rug.  It looks old and tired (like its owner!) by the time April rolls around.  I look at it and think, "Time to replace it!"  My new one is perky and pretty and, well, Welcoming!  I want people to come to my front door and be greeted with something fresh that will let them know we're glad they're here, rather than wonder if anyone still lives at this residence!

On Sunday my husband preached from I Thessalonians 1:6 - And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.  He explained that the word received means to roll out the welcome mat.  That was their response to the Word of God!

As I sat there and listened to him, I thought of my new welcome mat on my front porch.  I got a new one because the old one was faded and worn and not too welcoming.  Do you ever sense that your approach to God's Word looks the same as my old mat did?  We need a new approach to studying and Scripture memory.

I remember several years ago when I began to pray regularly for the Lord to give me a greater love for His Word.  You know what?  If you ask Him to do that, He will!  He gave me a new, fresh look and love for His Word.  Now when I go to my time in the Scriptures it is rich and sweet instead of an obligation.  My heart welcomes it!  Does that mean I don't have to fight the enemy and my own flesh for that time, or that Scripture memory just comes easily?  NO.  It means that when I obey and endure, I find the joy that accompanies it.  The psalmist put it this way: How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 

Do you need to pray for a new love for God's Word - a new Welcome Mat that you can roll out? God will hear and will answer that prayer!

Have you committed any Scripture to memory this week?  I'd love to know what you're working on!

With love,

No comments: