Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Read Your Age

Nothing personal, but what is your age?  Now, open your Bible and look at that chapter in Psalms. Since I'm 35 (wishful thinking!) 53, I'm looking at the 53rd psalm.  There are only eight verses in this chapter.  What if I were to read that chapter every day of my 53rd year - do you think I'd have it memorized and meditated on by the time my next birthday rolls around?  I believe so!

I heard recently about a mom who reads the chapter in psalm each day to her child according to their age.  Her four year-old hears the fourth psalm every night before she goes to bed!  My husband was talking to this four year-old and quoted to her,  "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety."  This little girl looked at him and said, "I know that verse!  That's in my psalm!" She has taken possession of that chapter of Scripture as hers!  I have never heard of anyone reading the Psalms in this way, but thought it was a fantastic idea!  What a wonderful way to get God's Word into a child's heart.

The chapters in the book of Psalms are relatively short until you get up into the 70's, but if you're in your 70's you probably have the time to add that longer chapter to your Bible reading each day!  Why not incorporate this practical way of getting more of God's Word into your own heart and your child's heart by "reading your age" chapter each day?  By next year's birthday you'll have another chapter tucked away in your heart and will have spent precious time meditating on Truth!  I can't think of a better way to let a year pass by!

What are you doing to get more of God's Word into your heart?

With love,

5 comments:

Alli Cunningham said...

I love that idea!

Denise said...

Isn't it great? Here's a verse from "your" psalm...Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God. Ps. 20:7

Beth said...

Hmmm...Psalm 55, I'll read it tonite!

Linda G. said...

Great idea! I am going to read mine tonight

beckynndanna said...

Love the ideal. Shared it with John and were going to add it to our daily Bible reading. Thanks for the great tip.