Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Worry or Worship?

There they were dangling around the neck of our Bible study teacher like a Christmas tree decorated by a 5 year-old; many strings of plastic beads worn to represent "Worry Beads."  What are Worry beads?  They are beads worn by islanders of a tiny island in the Aegean Sea.  The beads are worn around their necks, and the islanders finger and manipulate them all day long.  They say the beads bring comfort, that the process of handling them cuts down on anxiety.  So, last night our instructor at Bible study wore many strands of long beads to represent the worry beads, reminding us of our lesson in the book, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.  Our chapter was concerning Jesus' words to Martha, "You are careful and troubled about many things."

Martha, the doer, the proud, sufficient, take charge kind of spirit was troubled, worried, anxious. She knew she could handle this meal - this was very possible, but the thing that troubled her was Mary.  We were reminded last night that Martha's removal of her presence from the Lord is probably her first problem.  She was in the kitchen where she worked and worried; He was in the living room where Mary worshiped.  Isn't that when our trouble comes?  It comes when we are removed from where we should be.  Oh, that our hearts would cry out, Draw me nearer, draw me nearer, precious Lord.  Draw me nearer to your side.  The sweet Lord Jesus has prepared a feast for us from His Word, but we must draw near each day to eat from His table.  Are we in another room fingering our worry beads instead of worshiping Him and laying our cares at our His feet as Mary did?

Worry beads won't cut it, only worship will.  Which will we choose today?

With love,

2 comments:

Senkyoushi said...

I saw your blog address in the Frontline magazine. I'm so glad to find your blog. I appreciate this post today. I just bought this book to read to go along with my theme for the year. Perhaps I will start tomorrow...

Denise said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! The study on Mary and Martha has been such a blessing to me. I'm sure you'll find it challenging, convicting and a tremendous help in quieting your heart.

I'm also glad to find your blog! I will be peeking in on your posts!