Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Peek Inside the Parsonage


When I was growing up I had a Santa mug similar to the mug pictured on the right.  It was so special when it was brought out, because it meant it was Christmastime!  I enjoyed my milk or hot chocolate every day in my special mug. 

I carried that tradition to my own family.  We have special Christmas mugs that belonged to each of us. You didn't dare drink your coffee out of the "wrong" mug in the morning!  =)   We also had Christmas plates and bowls that we used throughout December. 

The tradition of dishes at holidays wasn't restricted only to Christmas.  The girls also had Brambley Hedge dishes that their Nana got them that they always used on their birthdays.



Summer for Allison's August birthday



and my favorite - Autumn for Whitney's September birthday. 
(I keep forgetting to give this to her, but I will some day!  It just looks so cute in my fall display!)
I even have plates with a heart in the middle that my husband and I use in February for Valentine's Day!

Dishes are a great way to make family traditions and create special memories.  Use the same bowl for Family popcorn night, a special turkey platter at Thanksgiving and Christmas, or a snowman tray for Christmas cookies Those dishes will build treasured memories that will stay in the hearts of your family longer than the Christmas gifts lasted.  Those pieces of ceramic or china will be something they can pass down to their children - if not in a tangible way, at least in their hearts.

Do you have dishes that carry a special memory for you?

From inside my parsonage windows,

10 comments:

Michelle said...

We had santa mugs too! They were decoration and usually had some type of Christmas candy in them. :) My mom had two tupperware bowls that remind me of food. One was a big tall rubbermaid that we always held watermelon in the summer, in fact, we call it the watermelon bowl. :) She also had a big orange tupperware one that she always mixed her dressing in for Thanksgiving. I've also heard aboout the "red plate" tradition, which is used on special days like birthdays, report card day, promotion, etc. so I've beeping my eye out for a red plate.

Christina said...

We always had Thanksgiving at my Mammaw's house and we always used the same silverware with little stars on it. When she passed away and we cleaned out her house, I brought the silverware home with me. I love even just seeing the box of it in the china cabinet drawer. I also have just a little plastic plate that's nothing special, but I always ate off of at her house. I like to use it because I think of all the meals I had at her house.

M said...

Special dishes and plates, platters are an interesting part of keeping traditions. Remember the A&W baby mugs we had for years? Also the glass cut bowl we always used for Halloween candy, that you now have. Dad bought me a large turkey platter for $5 as a Christmas present (that was all we could afford to spend on each other....no credit cards then), it was made in California. It's one of my most treasured items, and still, after 56 years used every Christmas. Nice memories.

M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Whitney said...

My favorite dishes from growing up were the Christmas dishes, especially my "No place like home for the holidays" Christmas mug!

Alli and I both love the blue tin dishes...they remind me of soup beans, cornbread and fried potatoes!

Denise said...

I loved hearing all these stories! Thanks for sharing...even when the "Word Verification" gave you fits, Mom!