Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

Freshen Up Friday

 One evening this week I was in a store and I overheard two couples who were friends and had bumped into one another in the aisle chatting.


"How are you doing?" one woman asked.

"I'm worn out, just like everyone else at this time of year!" came the answer in a disgusted tone of voice.

This woman looked and sounded like Scrooge.  "Ba-humbug!"  She had let everything crowd in on her instead of focusing on what was most important.

Today is Christmas Eve's eve. How are you feeling, friend? Tired? Stressed out? Overwhelmed?  Has there been so much busyness going on that you're just ready for Christmas to be over with?  If so, can I encourage you to take time today to just stop and be still?  Refresh your heart for Christmas by getting your Bible and finding a spot to be alone with the Lord, perhaps in front of the Christmas tree.  Open to Luke 2 and slowly read the Christmas story.  Ponder what sights and sounds you would hear as you join the shepherds on the starry hillside.  Would a cold wind be blowing through the stable where Mary and Joseph were caring for baby Jesus?  What baby-like sounds would come from his mouth?  Can you hear Him?  Think about the awe of stooping over the manger to peek inside, and rejoice as Simeon and Anna did at His coming.

The devil would love for us to be so sidetracked with our preparations for Christmas that we never stop to behold the Babe.  Be refreshed in your heart and  your Christmas spirit by spending time adore Him. You'll leave that place ready to finish things up with a right heart and a sweet attitude.  A crabby woman at Christmas isn't such a pretty package!

Merry Christmas!

With love,

5 comments:

Stephanie Boucher said...

Amen! Your blog is so "refreshing" and encouraging!
Was wondering if I could share today's blog on my facebook? If not, it's ok.
Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year too!
Blessings,
From our home to yours!

Stephanie Boucher said...

P.S. We got all settled in the new house. With God's help, I'm becoming more content here! The kids met new christian friends that live across from us. Praise God!
Thank you for your prayers!

Blessings! :)

Denise said...

Stephanie, Thanks for your encouragement! I'd be happy for you to share my blog. Thanks for doing so!

So glad your adjustments have gone well. I'll keep you in my prayers as you make some special Christmas memories in your new home!

Merry Christmas to you!

Debby said...

Denise, I, too, would love to post this on facebook.

As usual, my heart is touched by your words. Today's blog helps me look more forward to having a young Army couple here for a few days before Matthew goes back to Germany in a week. (He's "home" for 2 weeks leave.)

They have a one month old baby... so we'll get to experience those new baby sounds and movements and I'll share this blog with his very young mother.

Thanks for sharing your heart...again.

Loving you~ Debby

Denise said...

Thank you for your sweet comment, Debbie. You are such a blessing to me. Praying for you as you reach out to this young couple!