Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

I'm freezing! With summer temperatures at 90 degrees, I'm certainly not talking about the weather. I've been freezing food this past weekend. My mom has had some real issues with back pain, and I prayed about what I could do to help her and my dad. Food seems to be the greatest need. Though my dad is very efficient in every other area, cooking is not a skill he enjoys! I'm headed to Kentucky today with a cooler full of food that I prepared on Saturday and froze in individual servings for them.

I made...

Lasagna
(I put it in small servings after baking)

Countryside Chicken Bake and cooked apples
Oatmeal, pecan, chocolate chip cookies


Sloppy Joe meat, Taco meat, & Banana Bread

I also cooked fresh green beans and put them in individual serving sizes. And I fried up a batch of bacon so all my dad would have to do is warm it for breakfast or BLTs.
If I worked outside the home, I would definitely do this type of cooking/freezing each weekend. Everything I did is completely cooked to simplify it for my dad, but you could get the dish ready up to the point of baking it, then freeze it.
To make up the lasagna, tacos and Sloppy Joes, I followed this game plan from Robin Miller on The Food Network. You make up one big pan of meat, then add different ingredients for the Sloppy Joes and Tacos.
I've made this Beef meal before and it's all very good. The reviews written on the recipes are very critical, but as with any recipe you use, adjust it to what your family likes. I will say that it is a little soupy, so you might want to reduce the amount of liquid from the tomatoes, maybe drain one or two cans before adding them to thicken it up, or add some tomato paste to do the same thing. All in all it's a great plan and will provide you with many meals in one cooking time. I was in the kitchen the better part of the day making all that, but it was well worth the time! Now, I can spend time visiting my parents instead of being in the kitchen!
What was cooking in your kitchen this week?
With love,

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I made Santa Fe Chicken for my company on Sunday afternoon. The chicken cooked in the crockpot with a little salsa and seasoning, and when I got home from church, I made the warm salsa with black beans, canned corn and lime garlic salsa. The lime salsa added a really nice flavor.

承王蓁 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.