Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

Protection from No-see-ums!

Pests! They are so annoying. How dare they ruin a summer day! Bees, wasps, and flies would all be under the category of pests, but have you heard of the No-see-ums? They are tiny insects that you cannot see. Not only do you not see them, but you can't even feel the bite at the time. It's the next day that you find welts that itch like crazy. My poor dad has fought a battle with them the last couple of summers. He's done all he can to ward them off, including wearing rubber bands around his pant legs and sleeves, and wearing bug spray. Still, he will invariably come in only to discover a new bite. He's under attack every time he steps out the door! I told him that those bugs sound an alarm when they see him coming out the door..."Hey, everyone, here comes supper!"

There are times that he'll make a quick dash out the door to do a little job without taking any of his protective measures. The results are an even greater number of bites that show themselves later in the form of huge red welts. No fun!


How many of you would say that right now you, too, feel under attack? Oh, maybe not by No-see-ums bugs, but by another enemy that we cannot see who is as a "roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." I Peter 5:8 We would be foolish not to be very aware that he is there, waiting to pounce.
We must spray on the repellent - the Word of God - to be armed and ready. We must always be on the alert, taking precautionary measures - walking in fellowship with the Lord, reading His Word daily and being in much prayer. It's on the days we think we can make a quick dash out, and fail to do those very things, that we are attacked even greater.


This whole illustration came to my mind yesterday while my dad was talking to me on the phone about those pesty No-see-ums. I have a couple Christian friends for whom I am very burdened right now. They are doing things they would never have considered a month or two ago. They didn't see their own guard being let down, but it was, and WHAM! The greatest deceiver attacked them. How my heart is hurting for them, but I know that "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world." I John 4:4 Victory can be theirs, but there may be a scar, because we pay when we choose to sin.


No-see-ums are reminders to you and me. We must protect ourselves at all times and be on the lookout for the attack that our enemy, the devil, is sure to make. Let him that thinks he stands, take heed lest he fall. I Cor. 10:12


Spray on some bug spray before you go outside, but even more importantly, take the measures necessary to fight off Satan's attacks! You might not see him, but he's looking for you. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. I Cor. 15:57



Under His feathers,

1 comment:

lindagl said...

Praise the Lord that He is my protective spray. But when I go out without my protective spray that old pesty devil is right there to have me for supper. We have to be on guard at all times. Praise Him from all blessings flow!! His Protection, His Guidance, His Mercy, His Grace, but most of all His Love!!!!!!!!!