Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Psalm 107:29

Well, Friends, you might guess from the picture above that my kitchen is not in the parsonage this week - it's in a beautiful condo on North Myrtle Beach! Yes, we're suffering here. :) The Lord is so gracious to allow us this time away and my heart is full of gratitude for His merciful kindness to this undeserving person!
Whenever I'm at the ocean I think about the Lord's control over creation - the waves, and me. Just as the verse above states, He is the one that calms the waves that are caused by the storm. Only He is able to do that. We can trust Him to bring the calm in our lives at the right time.
We arrived yesterday to sunny skies and gorgeous weather. We've walked the beach, ridden the Lazy River at our resort, swam in the warm pool, and then we had supper here in our condo. It seems our tradition to have a simple meal of tacos the first night we arrive.
One little twist with our tacos is the mango salsa I make to top the taco. The sweetness of the mango is really delicious! Here's the simple recipe:

Mango Salsa
1 ripe mango
3 tbl. diced red onion
1/3 cup diced tomatoes (I like the grape tomatoes for this)
3 tbl. cilantro
1 tbl. lime juice


Last week I made a dish I've been making for years. I had some requests for it, so I'll share it today. It's not exactly low fat, but I only make it about once a year. It's a favorite of ours - I hope it will be yours too.

Honey Fried Chicken Strips
2 large chicken breasts
1 bunch parsley
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tbl honey
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Salad oil

1. Cut chicken lengthwise into 1-inch strips. Chop enough parsley to make 1/3 cup.
2. In large bowl, mix flour, milk, honey, lemon-pepper seasoning, salt, and chopped parsley. Stir in chicken; set aside.
3. In 5 quart Dutch oven over high heat, heat 1 inch salad oil to 325 degrees on deep fat thermometer (or, heat oil in deep fat fryer set at 325 degrees.
4. Fry chicken strips, a few at a time, about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and outside is golden. With slotted spoon, remove chicken to paper towels to drain.

I serve honey for dipping the strips into. Mmmmmm!

Hope you have a week of walking with the Lord. I'm not sure how often I'll post this week; it depends on the ease of getting on-line - I've had some difficulty.

Under His feathers,

2 comments:

淑惠 said...

被人揭下面具是一種失敗,自己揭下面具卻是種勝利。......................................................

Anonymous said...

I fixed the chicken strips last night for our supper. It had been years since we had them...they are good. I'm doing the Mango Salsa today for our lunch with Tacos, just so happened I had several Mangoes on hand!