Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

Yesterday was a bitter-sweet day. We had a dinner at church (sweet) to say goodbye to our music minister and his wife (bitter). They have been driving up to our church from Greenville, SC nearly every weekend for six years. We love them and will miss them greatly. What a blessing they have been!

For my contribution for the meal at church I made Greek Chicken, Corn pudding and Apple pie. The corn pudding reminds me of a dish some Mexican restaurants serve. It has a bit of a sweet taste, but it is a savory dish. This serves 8-10 easily. I made it up and baked it on Saturday, then warmed it before taking it to the dinner.

Corn Pudding
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg. (8 1/2oz.) corn bread/muffin mix
1/2 cup milk
1 can (15 1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (14 3/4 oz) cream-style corn
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream. Gradually add corn bread/muffin mix alternately with milk. Fold in the corn.
Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Yield: 8-10 servings

Here's the finished dish...so good!
Homemade Apple Pie
I don't follow a recipe for the pie itself, but if you need a crust recipe, I use this one from a dear lady that made wonderful pies. I watched her make pies with one hand in a cast! Her crusts were prettier than any I've made using both of my hands!
Two Crust Pie Dough
2 Cups flour
3/4 cup Crisco
1 tsp. salt
Blend with pastry blender until the Crisco is well incorporated into the flour
Ice Water (enough to make the dough hold together)
Add ice water and mix just 'til dough comes together. Don't over handle it. Roll out.
I made my whole pie up early in the week, then rather than baking it then, I covered it and froze it. I pulled it out of the freezer and baked it on Saturday afternoon. We had a busy Saturday, so it was nice that the pie was ready to just pop into the oven!

I have a tiny apple cookie cutter that I used to make the embellishments on the crust.


What was cookin' in your kitchen this weekend?

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Your pie is beautiful!linoa