Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Major and Minor Decisions

For years my husband has been telling this story using our names as the brunt of the joke:
A husband and wife, prior to marriage, decided that he'd make all the major decisions and she the minor ones. After 20 years of marriage, he was asked how this arrangement had worked. "Great! in all these years I've never had to make a major decision." **Smile**

This month in our ladies' Bible study we've had a lesson on the importance of our choices. We looked in Genesis 13 at the choice that Lot made when Abraham let him decide which piece of property he would like for his own. It seems that Lot's men and Abraham's men weren't able to get along, so Abraham said, "There's plenty of land here, you go one way and I'll go the other. If you take the left hand, then I will go to the right." Lot looked up and saw the plain of Jordan and saw well-watered trees and lands. It must have been green, lush, and beautiful. You don't read that Lot prayed for wisdom about this decision, he saw what he considered the best land and took it.
Then he made another decision that was a poor one. Verse 12 says that Lot pitched his tent toward Sodom. But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly. Why was this a poor choice? Think about what Lot would see every time he looked out his tent. Wickedness. What would his daughters see every time they looked out the tent? Wickedness. What would his wife see when she stepped out to get water? Wickedness. Lot placed it right in front of his eyes and that of his family as well. How foolish.

When I read that passage, however, the Lord spoke to my heart about how I could be guilty of "pitching toward Sodom." If I look at things that aren't appropriate and pleasing to the Lord, I'm guilty of Lot's sin. Things that aren't pure, such as television programs that would lead me away from right thoughts are "pitching my tent toward Sodom." If there's cursing, immorality, drinking, or making light of God those things are putting wickedness in my path and I need to turn away from it. It's easy to innocently stumble across ads or pictures on the Internet that are ungodly. What do we do when that happens? If we linger we are pitching our tent toward Sodom.

Proverbs 4:25, 26 says, Let thine eyes look right on, and let thing eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Set up your tent towards godliness, then keep your eyes straight on it. If we look this way and that, we'll slowly be turning all of ourselves that direction. Guard your heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life. (Proverbs 4:23)
Be careful of those major and minor decision - they can change the course of your life.

2 comments:

PorshaCoghlan梁子珠 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great reminder! I posted this on my facebook it was so good! :)

Tami