Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Word to the Wise Wednesday

Make your entryway inviting!

Last Saturday I had the privilege (and fun) of attending an interior decorating class entitled, "The Grand Entrance." I've been looking for a way to meet people from the area, I love to learn about decorating, and the class was free, so I attended! The class was held at Gracious Designs, located in downtown Jonesborough, TN.

I don't have a foyer in my house, and I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to apply what I'd hear to my own home. I was wrong! The interior designer was so practical and full of good ideas. I thought I'd share with you the things she told us about creating a beautiful entryway to your home.

The entryway begins outside your house. Think about the driveway, the sidewalk or the door you walk through to get inside your home - that's the area that you want to make appealing to those that would be arriving. As we think about the exterior entrance here are some thoughts to consider:

  • Take time to clean - Wipe down cobwebs, sweep away dead leaves on the sidewalk, wash grimy windows, and polish tarnished doorknobs. These are the first impressions people get of your home. You never get a second chance to make a first impression!


  • Grace the sidewalk with flowers. White flowers will reflect the light and even give a moonlight garden at night. Red and yellow flowers are the brightest flowers. You could also choose lavender, which is aromatic, as well as beautiful!


  • Add a piece of seating at your entryway - a chair or a bench welcomes people to sit down and relax.


  • Place a colorful rug at the door. Replace it as it becomes discolored.


  • Hang a seasonal wreath on the door, or install a doorknocker on the door to make a beautiful statement to those entering.



Next our instructor gave us tips on the interior entrance way and how to make it grand. I was so excited after hearing these suggestions that I spent a couple of hours that evening rearranging things in my living room to create the look she described. So far I haven't spent a dime to make these changes. I can't promise I won't purchase something in the future, though! :) Here are her suggestions for the interior entry way:


  • Your entry should be a postcard of the rest of your home. It should tell a story about who you are and what you love. For this reason, I placed a small Bible and a framed verse on the shelf - this tells those who enter that the Word of God is important to us and that we love the Lord!


  • If you do not have a defined entry (like my living room), create one by using "floating furniture." As in the picture below, you can create walls by putting a small table, a room screen or hall tree at the door. I took the bookshelf that had been against the wall next to the door and turned it perpendicular to the door. I also turned the chair's back to the shelf to give it even more of a walled effect.
  • Provide seating in the entry. A purse can be set down, or shoes can be put on or taken off here. I'm not crazy about this little bench, but it's what I had and it works fine.

Below is the view coming into the front door. What you see in front of you can also be considered the entryway.

  • All five senses should be stirred when you walk in.

  • Smell - This is the first sense your sub conscience notices. A bowl of potpourri or a candle will give a pleasant fragrance.
  • Taste - How do you taste an entryway? Have a bowl of candy there to offer your guests. See the little bowl with the pink wrapped chocolates in the picture below? Come visit and taste for yourself how good an entryway can be! A treat at the door just says, "I'm glad you came!"


  • Sound - Have a CD player near where pleasant music can be played. A small table top fountain is also a relaxing sound. Wind chimes outside your door are another option. I like to turn Pandora.com on my laptop since my computer sits on my desk in the living room. This is another option for sound.


  • Touch - Have a variety of textures. Add shiny glass, textured flowers or potpourri. Mix the smooth cabinet with a runner or other fabrics.


  • Sight - Place a small lamp or candle there. In the picture below you can see a little tin light. That light also gives off potpourri fragrance from little potpourri rocks inside! I love this light. It was a gift from a dear friend, Vickie. I need to find out where she got it so you can find one for your house. It's so cute and it smells so good!

Also included in sight is a mirror in the entryway. Have you ever walked into someone's home after your hair has been blown every which way on the walk from your car? It's nice to have a mirror for added reflection in the room, but also so guests can take a peek and see if something needs to be fixed! The little mirrors in the picture below were my solution to the mirror need. I had these tucked away. The bottom mirror is for those my height and the top is for those as tall as my husband, so I've think I got it covered!


The last picture is the way I turned both wing back chairs in order to create an entry way. It created conversation seating, and with the ottoman between the chairs and topped with a tray, it provides a place for cups or glasses.

I hope this gives you some good ideas of what you could do to create an inviting space in your entryway! What will you do first? Tell me about it!

Under His feathers,


2 comments:

Whitney said...

you inspired me! =) love it!

IdellA231_Fecteau1 said...

Every moment of resistance to temptation is a victory. ....................................................