Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

Springtime brings a couple pastor's conferences for my husband to enjoy. Preachers need preaching to just like we do! He spent a good bit of the last week away from me at The Wilds for their Power in the Pulpit Conference. What a refreshment it was to him!


I wanted to plan a special meal for him to have upon his return home, so I planned this grilled Sirloin with Charred Tomato Salsa. We enjoy grilling steaks, but I typically always make the same Teriyaki Marinade. This recipe is a great change. It tastes healthy and really wakes up a plain ol' grilled steak! I had a little extra meat and salsa left over - that will make some delicious beef burritos!

Charred Tomato Salsa

1 14.5 oz Can of Fire Roasted tomatoes

1/2 Cup Red onion, thinly chopped

1 tbl red wine vinegar

1 tsp olive oil

1 tsp. dried basil

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine ingredients in a bowl. Serve at room temperature with grilled sirloin steak.

I love fresh asparagus, but have never had it fresh from the garden. We have a dear pastor friend who dropped off some for us - wow! What a difference it makes to have it so fresh!

I placed the asparagus on a sheet pan, drizzled it with olive oil, then salt and pepper. Bake it at 400 degrees 6-8 minutes. I like it crisp-tender.

I served a twice baked potato along with it to round out the meal.

For dessert I made Sunflower seed cookies. If you like Pecan Sandies you'll like these. They're a little salty mixed with the sweetness of the dough. They're thin, crispy rounds of goodness!

Sunflower Seed Cookies

1 cup butter or marg., softened

3/4 Cup shortening

2 Cups sugar

1 T water

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 Cup roasted salted sunflower seeds

Cream butter, shortening, and sugar. Add water and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture; mix well. Add sunflower seeds. Shape into 1-inch balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.

Flattered with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned.

Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Yield: About 10 dozen

I think my husband was pretty glad he came home - even if he did have to grill the steaks!

What's been cookin' in your kitchen lately?


With love,



1 comment:

Whitney said...

That looks so good! Thanks for the asparagus recipe.

I got to eat at Nana's for Sunday lunch. We had spare ribs with red currant glaze, potato salad, bean salad and cranberry muffins.=)