Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

I had the privilege of speaking at a Ladies' Retreat at Kennerly Road Baptist Church in Irmo, SC this past Saturday. What a blessing to share the Word of God and have the fellowship with the dear, sweet ladies that were there. We had a wonderful time together and I thank the Lord for the opportunity to serve Him there.

One of the things I encouraged the ladies about was using their home as a place of ministry. I consider it a true joy to have guests in. Sharing a meal, and then being able to share the Gospel or disciple them in their walk with God makes the meal so very sweet.

Yesterday we had the joy of having in a couple that has been attending our church for a short period of time. We had a wonderful time talking with them about their faith in Christ and the need to read the Word and grow. Our hearts were knit together as we broke bread together, then shared The Bread of Life!

Because I was away all day on Saturday, I planned a menu that would be easy to put together on Sunday morning. Early in the week, I made dessert - a Brownie Tart by Ina Garten, and placed it in the oven. Oh my - if you love chocolate you must try this decadent dessert!

Countryside Chicken Bake

Steamed broccoli

Green salad

Crescent rolls

Brownie Tart with ice cream

Sunday morning I put the chicken dish together. When I returned home from church I put the salad together, steamed the broccoli, and baked the crescent rolls.

Countryside Chicken Bake

1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbl butter, melted
2 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
6 chicken breasts (I used a cut-up fryer)
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 lb. bag baby carrots
paprika

Cook rice according to package directions. Combine rice and next 6 ingredients; mix well. Spoon into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch dish; top with chicken and carrots.

Combine soup, sour cream and milk; spoon mixture over chicken. Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Sprinkle top with paprika. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

For baking on Sunday during church, place dish in a 275 degree oven before Sunday school.

What's been cookin' in your kitchen?

With love,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing! Your blog is a blessing! I read it every week! :)

Tami

Denise said...

Thank you, Tami, and all those that read my blog. You are an encouragement to me!