Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Persistently Looking

Every Sunday morning my husband has a time with the children called “Pastor’s Pals.” All the children come down to the front, sit on the platform steps, and hear their pastor share some biblical truth or story with them. I have a front row seat because I sit in the choir. I’ve seen some interesting sights from my vantage point!

Last Sunday my husband brought out a large chest that had a lid on it. He led the children up to the point of finding out what was in the box. It was empty, reminding them of the empty tomb. But before saying that it was empty, he simple removed the lid and let them peer inside to see what was in the box he’d brought.
There is a darling little girl, Haley, about two years old, that was trying her best to see, but the bigger children were in front of her and she couldn’t see over or between them. She was sweetly persistent. I watched her go from one side to the other trying to find a hole from which she could get a look. Back and forth, back and forth she went. She even endured an unkind elbow from a little boy, yet she stayed planted, trying to get a peek into that box. I’m not sure, but I think she may have gotten a look into the box when they were all headed to their seats. I sure hope so!

The Lord brought to my heart at that moment that her persistence is what we all must have when we’re looking for Him. He promises: And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 However, many times, we only take a quick glance into the Scriptures and call it devotions. We go to church and “hear” the preacher talking about something, but never really see the Lord because we’re too preoccupied with our own thoughts, or what’s going on around us.

Like Haley, we need to be looking with our eyes wide open, standing on tip toe, ears tuned carefully in so we won’t miss what the Lord wants to show us from His Word. Did you find the Lord this morning? What Truth did He teach you from His Word? Keep looking!

With love,


1 comment:

Christina said...

I will remember the works of the Lord, surely I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work and talk of thy doings. Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary who is as great a God as our God? Thou art the God that doest wonders: thou hast declared thy strength among the people. Psalm 77:11-14