Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hear the Song

Yesterday was another lesson from the birds (God uses His creation to teach us about Himself, doesn't He?). My husband was walking with me this time, and as we were walking we heard a beautiful song, but as we looked up into the tree from which the sound was coming, we couldn't find the bird! Then all of the sudden it flew out of the branches and off to another perch. It was a gray and white bird - nothing fancy, no bright colors on its breast, no colorful bill.

Then my husband said, "He wasn't a very pretty bird, but he sure had a pretty song!"
"That's just like me!" I squealed.
"It's just like all Christians" he answered.

That is the truth! We're all unlovely, sinful creatures, but because of what Christ did for us on the cross, He has put a song in our hearts. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God... Psalm 40:3a

A moment later, we heard the same song from another bird in another tree. We looked and we looked but we never could find the bird that was making the beautiful music.
I said, "There's another example for us - it doesn't matter if others see us - we should be pointing them to Christ."
The end of Psalm 40:3 says, many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. It doesn't say that many shall see me, it says they shall see "it" - the song. You see the song by seeing Christ in that person. You see, Christ is our song. I don't matter; Christ does!

Thank the Lord for His faithful birds, pretty or not, singing their song and pointing to their God. How can we do the same thing?

  • We don't try to promote ourselves.
  • We serve instead of desiring to be served.
  • We make His priorities ours priorities and let Him direct our day.
  • We live for eternity, not for the moment.

Let's be like those birds and make others think about our great God when they hear our song!

Under His feathers,

3 comments:

lindagl said...

I listen to the birds of the morning when I am having my devotins. I love to hear them and thank my Lord for their beautiful voices. Thank you Denise I will always remember this when I hear the birds sing their song.

Whitney said...

I don't agree....you're a pretty bird. =)

Anonymous said...

I think you are a pretty bird too.
With a pretty heart!