Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Word to the Wise Wednesday

One of the sweet little girls at my church told me Sunday, "Tomorrow is the first day of spring!" "Well," I said, "it's the first day of March, but I don't think it is also the first day of spring." "Yes it is" she answered. "Oh, okay!" I said, realizing how much we'd all love for that to be true!
What do we do in March? Hope for spring's arrival. While we wait, we can be doing a few things to be ready when it does pop its glorious head into our windows. How about:
  • Get your carpets cleaned.
  • Wash the winter grime off the windows so the sun can shine brightly through it.
  • While you're at the window, take the curtains down and either vacuum them or wash them.
  • Paint! Is there a room or two that needs a brightening up? Head to Lowe's and find a few paint colors you like, then get to it.
  • Lighten up your decorating. Get rid of the dark pillows or throws and replace them with your lighter weight and colors to brighten up each room.
  • Swap out flowers - get some spring bouquets to replace the winter flowers. Even buying a bunch of fresh flowers at the grocery will perk up your kitchen table or living room. Ingles has bunches for $2.50 this week!
  • Clean out closets so you'll be ready to hang your spring things up.
  • Finish any inside projects you have before it gets pretty and you want to be outside instead of in the house!

Proverbs 31:27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

If you need some help and inspiration to clean, go to this link. There are all kinds of helpful ideas and tools to get you motivated - even if your house is a disaster at this moment. She'll help you take it one step at a time.

Ecclesiastes 12:13,114 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

I found a new game that I LOVE because I enjoy word games. It's called Scrabble Slam. I found it at Target for $5.24. If you go here you can get a $4 coupon! That's some cheap fun to entertain you and your family while we wait for spring to come! My husband doesn't much care for the game, because we played it last night and well... you know! :)

Proverbs 2;3-5 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

I love the fresh taste that orange peel adds to food, but it is expensive. I bought some really good oranges this week and before eating each one, I grated the rind before peeling it. If you add a teaspoon to muffin mix or fresh fruit salad,, it really gives it a fresh flavor. I'm thinking even chocolate cake or brownie batter would be good with the granted rind added to it!

I grate the rind, then put it into a storage bag and put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. You can just take out what you need.
Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
Recently while staying at a nice hotel, I noticed they had little paper liners in the bottom of the trash cans. They looked like flat coffee filters. I've tried to find small trash can liners, but haven't been successful, so when I got home, I took a coffee filter and pushed it into the bottom of the small trash baskets throughout the house. It works perfectly! The filter fits the form of the can and stays in place when I empty them, and at the same time it keeps the inside of the waste can clean! There's another use for those filters!

What good ideas have you found recently?
Looking for spring,

2 comments:

Christina said...

I got the Scrabble game as a Christmas gift...it is a great game!

Dianne said...

The $4 coupon for the game isn't on the site anymore unless I totally missed it. I bet I would enjoy it!