Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

Our church is having evangelistic meetings with Tom Farrell this week, so I had the privilege of having the Farrell's in our home for Sunday dinner. Also joining us were a couple of dear servants and one of their sons, from The Wilds Christian camp. They were here for the weekend to help get a new sound system installed in our church.

Our table and kitchen are filled when I have seven total guests, but I'm reminded of the story of Jesus being in a house in Mark 2. The house was filled - packed out - so much that there wasn't room for another person to enter. They had come to see Jesus! There were four faithful friends who had a paralyzed buddy they knew Jesus could heal, so they cut a hole in the roof and let his bed down with ropes. Jesus, seeing their faith, healed the man, who also went away knowing Jesus as his Savior.

It's worth packing out the house so people can see Jesus! Whether it's providing a meal for an unsaved family and then taking them to church, or feeding the evangelist who will give the heavenly manna to lost souls, it's worth packing them in! It's a special blessing, and I'm thankful to have many guests around my table.

Yesterday's menu was:
Hot Chicken Salad
Gourmet Potatoes
Buttered Corn
Bibbed Lettuce and fruit in Parmesan Cups
Yeast Rolls
Coconut Cream Pie
Strawberry Pie
Serving buffet style works best when I have a big group, so I put the spread on the counter and let everyone help themselves. My dad put this counter in for me several years ago - I don't know how I'd function without it!

Pictured below are Dr. and Mrs. Farrell - I'm so glad she was there or I'd have been surrounded with all men! She is a sweet, gracious lady. Steve, his son Drew (behind the daffodil!), and Rich - sound men! :)
This was a new recipe - I actually mixed several different recipes to come up with this. I found the idea for the Parmesan cups in Taste of Home. I loved this because I love Parmesan cheese.

On Friday night I made up the Parmesan cups. Take about 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of finely chopped walnuts and sprinkle in a small non-stick skillet. Let the cheese melt, and when it gets a little golden on the edges, remove the pan from the heat. In about 1 minute, lift the cheese round and lay it over the bottom of a glass so it can cool and form its shape. Store in an air-tight container up to several days before use.
I added the mandarin oranges and strawberry slices. I also made up the cranberry vinaigrette from this salad and it was great on it!

The hot chicken salad is an old favorite that I changed just a bit this time. The recipe I've directed you to is from Paula Deen's site, but it's exactly like the one in my cookbook that I've had for 30 years. This time I added half sour cream and half mayo and I really like the taste of it better. I doubled the recipe to feed my guests.
Pictured above are the Gourmet Potatoes that I've shared here. They're a great Sunday dish because they're made ahead of time - I made this up on Friday.

I also made up my pie crusts on Friday and stuck them in the freezer...


I found a secret that my Grandma Ray had for keeping meringue from shrinking and weeping. Mix 1/3 cup of water and 1 Tb. cornstarch in a pan. Cook and stir until dissolved. Cool. Add to the egg whites and sugar (2 Tb. sugar to each egg white) when they're fluffing up, and beat 'til stiff peaks form. Be sure to seal the edges of the crust so it won't creep in to the middle. The cornstarch stabilizes the meringue and gives it a better texture.

If you live in the area, let me invite you to our meetings this week - they begin at 7:00 each night. God is going to do some mighty things - I know it! I'm looking for the place to be packed out so much that we'll have to let them in through the ceiling! Come be a part of it!
What was cookin' in your kitchen this weekend?
With love,

No comments: