Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Encouragement

There was just no way to deny it - I was discouraged Sunday afternoon. My heart was heavy with the feeling of defeat. The enemy's jabs were persuasive and I listened. "You're not even effective in what you're trying to do in serving God!" "There's no fruit being borne in this place!" "You're no good!" "You're really getting old (and looking it!)" Blah, blah, blah, blah! On and on it went.

I went to choir to sing with no song resonating in my heart. I remember standing to practice and my heart was more on really trying, with the Lord's help, not to sing right, but just to think right. I knew that I must combat the lies with the Truth. I searched my heart for encouragement in God's Word. Phil 2:13 - For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. It is not me that does the work, it is the Lord. He will bring fruit in His time. Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man that trusteth in Him. I must remember the blessings of the goodness of the Lord in the past and be reminded of His faithfulness. Prov. 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. The most important part of me is what God sees.

As we entered the evening service, I was feeling much better. During the song service my heart was even more encouraged as we sang "God gives wings as eagles, God gives wings to fly and strength to rise above. God gives wings, God gives wings as eagles. When my feet begin to stumble and my dreams begin to crumble, I mount up on eagles' wings."

Two men stood to sing a tenor duet of "Sweet Hour of Prayer." I was reminded of my quiet place that awaited me. I thought of all the times God had met with me there, and of the sweet, sweet day that's coming when we will say "farewell, farewell, to that sweet hour of prayer." We will be in His presence at that time and can talk to Him face to face!

Our youth pastor stood to preach and share his heart and the thought that he said that was a sweet reminder is that we must plant the seed and wait. The flower or bean won't spring up immediately. I know that, but that's not what I want! I'm like the little 5 year-old that plants seeds in the garden today and wants to pick the fruit tomorrow! God says, "Wait." Okay, Lord. I'll wait.

After the close of the service, a man came to my husband to receive Christ as his Savior. This dear man is a brother to a friend and fellow-church member. Her brother has been prayed for for years! Now he is my brother too - in Christ. Again, my heart rejoiced! Here was fruit!

I came home with the song that had left me, thankful that I went to church, thankful that I have a God who cares for me and will give us a song in the night. To Him be all glory and praise!

What encourages your heart when you're discouraged?

With love,

No comments: