Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Word to the Wise Wednesday

When I was a teenager I had to have my wisdom teeth cut out. During the time of my recovery (and while I was doing my chipmunk impression), I could only eat soft foods. I ate yogurt...for several days. Ever since then I couldn't stand the taste of the stuff, I don't care how much doctoring I did to it. Then a couple years ago my husband and I visited the B&B I shared with you recently, The Windover Inn, and she served us yogurt with our breakfast. It was delicious! It didn't have the tart taste I'd remembered yogurt having. When I inquired about it she told me she got it at Ingles and that the brand is Stonyfield.

I buy the fat free French Vanilla in the 32-oz. container for a little over $3 and it lasts me a couple of weeks. I add some fresh fruit and granola and have a great breakfast or evening snack. The small containers are convenient, but much more expensive. You can get some good coupons on their website. They have a .50 off the 32 oz., and if you use that at Ingles they will double it. This really is the best yogurt - you must try it!

Proverbs 29: 11 A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.


I've shared some of my favorite money-saving websites with you in the past that point you to sales and coupons. Between those web sites and the Sunday paper, I end up with lots of coupons. Keeping them organized is really important. I tried the little coupon holder with the pockets and dividers, but it seemed like all I did was shuffle through each pocket looking and looking for the coupon I knew was in there. I was on the lookout for a better system.


Here's what I came up with:
While at Hobby Lobby (love that store!) I went to the hobby department and found plastic baseball card holders. They were $7 for about 24 sheets. They are made to go into a three-ring binder, so I slipped them into a thin binder. Then I divided them up using paper labels that I already had. For instance, I have sections for baking, canned goods, dairy, meats, cat food, health and beauty, etc.
Now I take my notebook to the store with me and lay it across the seat of the cart, then I can just flip to the section of the notebook where the coupon is and it's right there where I can find it easily! The inside of the notebook has a pocket - that's where I put my coupons as I take them out of the plastic holders. When I'm ready to pay, I just pull them out of the pocket. Easy smeasy!
Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
I snagged a super deal at Walgreens a couple weeks ago on Listerine White strips. With the sale they were having, the register rewards I had, and an extra discount they were giving at the store that day, I ended up getting them for $4!
I don't know about you, but I always like hearing someone give their first-hand opinion of products that are supposed to do something grand (I guess all products are made to do just that, aren't they?) I had used Crest Whitening strips some years ago, and so far I'd have to say I like these Listerine strips better. They are easy to put on, and they dissolve in your mouth. There's no messing with taking them off in ten minutes. After about 15 minutes they're gone. They have a pleasant minty taste. I'm half way through the two week period it takes for them to do the whitening, but I must say I can see a difference already. I would certainly say they're worth using. So now every one's going to be staring at my teeth when I talk to them, right? It's okay, go ahead. :) **Smile!**
Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
Here's a great idea I saw in my new Country Living Magazine. Do you have a closet that looks like this:
Country Living
Why not turn it into an office like this?
Country Living
Go here to see the details of how they did it. How very clever!
Have you found any great products or ideas? I'd love to hear about them!
Thanks for stopping by,

1 comment:

Christina said...

I use a zippered 3-ring-binder for my coupons and left-over photo sleeves from old photo albums that I punched extra holes in to make them fit. I divide them with construction paper and write what's in each section on it. Then I can use the tabs in the middles of the photo pages to label each pocket so I know right where the coupon will be if I have it. I also keep a notepad, pen, calendar and small pair of scissors in the outside zipper pocket just in case. I use a small envelope to keep the coupons I'm using in and use the inside pockets for the store sales adds, in case I have any problems once I get there.