Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Word to the Wise Wednesday

I'm not home right now, I accompanied my husband to Atlanta. While he's in board meetings, I'm studying and preparing for an upcoming event. How wonderful to have the time to linger in God's Word and prayer without the normal distractions at home.

I'm late posting today - I took for granted that Internet access would be accessible where my husband and I are staying. After all, if you can get Internet at Chick-fil-A, it should be free anywhere you'd stay, right? :)
I'll share a couple of thoughts before diving back into my studying...

Jeremiah 15:16 - Thy words were found and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart...

Anyone that’s been saved for any length of time has undoubtedly heard about the need to memorize Scripture. As I stated in my post yesterday, we must have God’s Word tucked away in our hearts if we’re going to be a godly testimony in the time of trial. There are many memorization plans out there, but the one that I’ve begun to use in the last year has been simple and effective in my life.

As I read the Scripture, or as I hear verses read in church I listen for verses that would be beneficial for me to memorize. I write the reference down in my journal, then I write the verse out in my notebook that is pictured here. I was using just a little pocket notebook, but really found what I was looking for when I went into Office Depot recently. These index cards are connected by the ring and then bound by an elastic band so the cards don’t get wrinkled up if I drop the book of cards into my purse. I’m trying to memorize verses by categories. I have a group of verses on the tongue, one on trust, heaven, thoughts, the Word of God, prayer, and the character of God.
I use my time on the treadmill to start with a category and try to review the verses and their references (the hardest for me to remember) in that category. If I get stumped I take a peek at the verse. I try to add a new verse each week. I find if I don’t review there verses regularly I forget them in a couple week’s time. Oh, what a blessing this has been to my life! Do you have a plan you use? Tell me about it!



I recently saw in a magazine a simple way to cover a lampshade. Here's my before picture:
I laid the lampshade down on a piece of newspaper (I taped two pieces together to make it big enough). Then I penciled the top and bottom edge of the shade onto the paper and rolled the lampshade until I’d drawn all four sides. I added about a half an inch to the top and bottom for a hem of sorts. I then cut out my paper pattern, laid it on my fabric, then cut it out.

I took the fabric outside and laid it on a piece of plastic. I sprayed the fabric with an adhesive spray. Then starting at one corner I pressed the fabric onto the lampshade, smoothing as I went along. Once the fabric was in place I smoothed the extra material over the edge of the lampshade for a finished edge.



I added a lace trim to the bottom of the shade for an extra touch. You could use ribbon, buttons, roping, or whatever you like! It really transformed an old lampshade for very little money!


Proverbs 15:1 - A soft answer turneth away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger.

I saw another neat idea recently. Someone took a men’s pant hanger that had multiple hangers on it and used it for a totally different purpose. The hangers could come unhooked on one end, so they opened the end and slid their ribbon rolls on each row. How convenient that would be for wrapping gifts! I’m going to be on the lookout for a pant hanger on sale!
What good ideas have you found recently?

With love,

1 comment:

Mildred Ray said...

Loved the lampshade demo, it looks great. The material is very pretty. You have a good way of explaining things. Carry on!