Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Word to the Wise Wednesday

This is what it looked like out my kitchen window this weekend. Beautiful, isn't it? Okay, I'm ready for spring, but if it has to be winter I say the snow makes winter gorgeous! I'd much rather see trees with snowy covered branches than everything being barren and gray .



Dry skin remedy
However, with the cold comes dry skin. My feet seem to take a worse beating than any other part of my body. It's pretty bad when you can hear the sheets rubbing against your feet at night! All the scrubbing of a stone does little good for my rough skin. The only thing that really works is an inexpensive drug store find that my mom has used for years - it's Vaseline! I got the baby scented kind and it smells so good! After I shower, I apply a little bit to my heels, then put on soft socks. You can't imagine how soft it makes your skin! It's quite a cheap remedy too! I got a huge container at Walmart for less than $4. That's pretty good, I'd say!




Proverbs 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Great Book!
I read a book this fall that was a huge blessing. It's called, "Daughters of Hope." It's about Christian women who are facing persecution for their faith today. In places like Pakistan, China and the Middle East women are suffering for converting to Christianity. This book shares their stories, their courage, and their unmovable faith as they continue to stand for the Lord Jesus Christ and the Truth they have found in His Word spite the threat to their very lives. This book will burden you to pray for these women, and will give you a greater appreciation for the freedom that we share at this time in our country to worship and share Christ freely.


Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Keeping flowers fresh
My husband wisely buys me roses the weeks before Valentine's Day and avoids the huge mark-up the week of Cupid's Day! He buys me flowers all year long, so he doesn't have to go make up on the 14th! He's a keeper! A florist friend of mine told me years ago how to keep my roses fresh longer. Here's the trick...

Put warm water in your vase along with the plant food that comes with the flowers. Before you put your roses into a vase, run warm water in the kitchen sink. Cut the stems of the flowers under water at an angle and get them right into the vase of water. Every couple of days, refresh the water and cut the stems again (just a little is all that's necessary). When you refresh the water add about a teaspoon of sugar to your water. Keeping the flowers out of direct sunlight helps too.

Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

Use for flimsy paper plates

These are the plates that won't hold up to your homemade lasagna! Use them instead to stack between your good dishes. It will keep the from getting chipped while being stored.

They will also keep your non-stick cookware from getting scratched.


Have you come across any ideas, books or products that would make us wiser? Tell me about them!

With love,



P.S. In case you're wondering...yesterday I put three freshly ironed handkerchiefs in the Valentine pillow for my husband with a note saying how thankful I am that he has a tender heart. Are you planning a way to tell your Valentine how thankful you are for him?

1 comment:

Kay Marshall Strom said...

Thanks, Denise, for including "Daughters of Hope" in today's blog. As one of the authors, I sat at the feet of those women and heard their stories first hand. What a challenge. What a blessing. I will never be the same.

Kay Marshall Strom