Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Oh, yes, He Cares!

I consider myself so blessed to have a primary doctor who is the most compassionate doctor I think I've ever had. When Dr. Carroll sees me sitting in his office, he immediately asks me how my migraines are - no matter what else may have sent me to visit him. He searches for free samples of my very expensive medication so he can send me home armed for the next headache battle! Sometimes his office has samples, sometimes they do not. But he cares and he does all he can to help those that come to him.


I guess I appreciate him so much because I know what it's like to have a doctor who is quite the opposite. I recently "tried" a new doctor for another issue who was cold and calculated in her words and actions. She talked to me like I was an idiot - as if I should know what to do on my own! She had a knowledge of medicine, but no heart for her patients.


I love reading the Gospels and seeing the heart of Jesus. Recently I read in Luke 7 the story of the widow woman who was getting ready to bury her only son. Verse 13 says, And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not." He then approached the bier (the frame on which the corpse was lying) and spoke to the dead man, "Young man, I say unto thee, Arise." The dead man sat up and began to speak. Jesus then delivered him to his mother. Jesus didn't just have compassion - he did something about it.

Again in Mark 5 Jesus makes His way to Jarius' house, where his daughter, who had been very sick when Jesus was asked to come, had now died. When he got close to the house he saw the tumult - people crying and wailing over the death of this little girl. When he went inside the house with the girls' parents, Peter, James, and John, "he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Tabitha, cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise. And straightway the damsel arose, and walked..." (Verses41-42)

Over and over we see Jesus looking at the people and having compassion on them. He doesn't just love them, He also loves you! He has compassion on you and the situation with which you're dealing! Perhaps you have a loved one that is sick and you have found yourself sitting at their bedside. You've prayed, you've wept, you've done all you can to help them. Perhaps you're at an impasse in a relationship. Financial needs may be burdening your heart. Be reminded today that Jesus sees and He has a heart towards that burdened individual and for those who love them. His heart is moved with compassion.


Whether He chooses to heal your loved one or change the situation you're in, He went to the cross to make sense of suffering. If we trust Him as our Savior, we can have the blessed assurance that this is not all there is to life. What's waiting for all of us who know Him is far better than we could even imagine.


Remember today that Christ looks at you and does more than just feel sorry for you. He cares so much for you that He will give you Scripture to comfort your heart. He may send along a Christian friend to console you. A loving doctor may be given the wisdom to know what will bring the cure. No matter what happens, God is in control and He cares!

Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress,
And the way grows weary and long?

Refrain:
Oh, yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?

Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief there is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?

Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbye”
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks—
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?
--Frank Graeff



With love,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the last song I heard a very dear friend sing before he went to be with the Lord. It is a very special song to me.