Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Extend an Invitation

Invitations - don't you love to get one? A beautifully embossed card comes in the mail reading, "You are cordially invited to..." A verbal invitation is also fun - "Hey, want to come over?" "We're going out for ice cream. Would you like to join us?" Following the invitation is something special - and that's what we anticipate! If you are the one doing the inviting, it's just as wonderful to hear the ones you've invited respond positively. It's a blessing!

Dictionary.com says that to invite is "to call forth." I remembered while in prayer the other day an invitation I received many years ago. I was seven years old and it was my birthday, which had fallen on a Sunday. Our family went to church, as we did each week. On this day as I sat in my Sunday school class, my teacher, Mrs. Mitchell, extended an invitation after she taught our lesson. It went something like this:

"Is there someone this morning who would like to accept Jesus as their personal Savior? If you've never asked Him to come into your heart and forgive your sin, I'll show you from the Bible how you can trust Him and then be sure of a home in heaven with Him forever."

The Holy Spirit had been working in my heart before this day, and when I heard this invitation to come to Jesus, I raised my hand to say, "I accept! Count me in!" After the other children had been dismissed from Sunday school, I stayed afterward with Mrs. Mitchell. I listened to her read the Scriptures to me and show me the verses that said that Jesus loved me and died for my sins. I understood that I could receive what He did for me on the cross and be with Him in heaven for all eternity. I bowed my head and prayed, receiving the Lord as my own personal Savior. I can't help but weep as I write this, because it is so precious to me. That invitation brought me to Christ, and He has been the dearest Friend I have ever known.

How I thank the Lord for the faithfulness of that dear lady who took the time to extend an invitation to the little girls she taught each week. I wonder, had she been praying for each of her students, calling them out by name before the Throne of grace? She must have gone home rejoicing over one who said yes to the invitation!

If you teach children, at home, in Sunday school or children's church, just keep on praying and keep on giving an invitation because Hebrews 7:25 says, Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. One day, those children will say "Yes, I accept!"

Who invited you to accept Christ?

With love,

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Oh how I remember the day you and Pastor C came over to our house 7 years ago. We had extended the invitation to you to come by and visit. Oh how thankful I am that you accepeted our invitation. We need to extend invitations as well as accept invitations. It may be an unsaved person like myself wanting a visit from a friend or relative or it could be a saved individual that has not been in God's word or around God's people for quite a while that just need encouragement. I am preaching to myself because I am the world's worse on not doing just that....stopping by to visit people or invite someone into my home. The Lord has stirred my heart on this subject recently and I am going to work on just that; invite folks over and stop by to visit when I get a chance. Thanks Denise for sharing your testimony. It means a lot to me.

Denise said...

Hazel,
I remember that night too. Seeing you and Junior accept Christ was so wonderful! What a special time we had together!
I'm thankful for you, Friend!