Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?


Yesterday was Allison's last Sunday home for Christmas break, so I wanted to fix something she enjoys. I've tried to prepare all her favorite foods while she's been home. This week she's back to cafeteria food! She's going to miss home cooking and I'm going to miss the great help she has been to me in the kitchen!

I have some tried and true recipes that I have fixed many many times over the years, and yesterday's dinner was one of those. I fixed Short Ribs and Lima Beans. Don't turn your nose up at the lima beans; I don't like limas except when they're served in this dish! This recipe is a great one for Sunday since it's cooked in the slow cooker. The ribs fall off the bone and are so delicious after cooking in the soups that season them and the beans. Here's my recipe:


Short ribs - a couple packages - sorry I don't have the "pounds"
1 pkg. frozen lima beans
1 pkg. Lipton Onion soup
1 Can vegetable beef soup with barley
1/2 can water

Place the ribs in the bottom of crock pot. Mix the beans, soups and water in a bowl. then pour over ribs. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove ribs and beans. Thicken the liquid in the crock pot with about 1/3 cup of water and 3 tbl. flour mixed together. Turn crock pot to high and stir in flour/water mixture. Cook until thickened (about 10 minutes).

Baked potatoes or mashed potatoes are good with this meal because of the nice gravy.


The salad I served was Mandarin Orange Tossed Salad. On Saturday night I prepared the lettuce, celery, green onions and almonds. After church all I had to do was mix the ingredients in the salad bowls and stir the quick dressing together. It's light and refreshing!


1/4 cup wine vinegar

1/2 cup oil

1 tbl. sugar

salt and pepper to taste

3 3/4 oz. slivered almonds

2 tbl. sugar

1 head lettuce, chopped (I like leaf or Bibb lettuce)

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup chopped celery

1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained


Combine vinegar, oil and 1 tbl. sugar, salt and pepper in bowl; mix well. Set aside. Combine almonds with 2 tbl. sugar in skillet. Cook over low heat until sugar melts and almonds are coated and light brown, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature. Combine lettuce, green onions, celery, oranges, and almonds in salad bowl. Add dressing at serving time, tossing gently to mix well.

What was cooking your kitchen yesterday?

3 comments:

Whitney said...

I didn't know that was one of her favorites...

What else did you serve with it besides the salad?

Denise said...

We had red-skinned mashed potatoes and toasted, Parmesean bread. And Als does enjoy that meal.

Angie C said...

Sounds delicious! We had Oven Barbeque Chili (Pampered Chef). It cooks in the big stoneware lid/bowl for about 2.5 hours. I was able to get all of the ingredients together Saturday night except for the meat, then combine them Sunday morning and set the delay timer on the oven. It could probably be made in a crock pot or dutch oven, too.